Question about Lexmark X6150 All-In-One InkJet Printer
Alignment problem hardware error 0502
The encoder strip is most likely the problem. Unplug the power from the printer. Open the front cover and move the cartridge carrier to the center. You should see a white ribbon cable, a thin plastic strip and a black belt with teeth.
The thin plastic strip is the encoder strip. It rides in a sensor on the back of the cartridge carrier that you will not be able to see. Reach in with the first finger of either hand and carefully strum the strip as if playing a guitar.
The strip will need to be lowered slightly and brought towards you slightly. Please be careful not to break the strip or your printer will not function. Once you believe the strip is set correctly, plug the power back and try printing the self test.
To self-test the printer, please follow the steps given below:
1. Press the "Options" button 9 times. "Maintenance/Align" should now appear in the display screen.
2. Press the "Right Arrow (+)" until "Test" appears.
3. Press "Select."
You should see text followed by a thick 1-inch black bar. Under this bar, should be a process gray bar about a 1/2-inch thick. Below this line should be a set of railroad like bars of cyan, magenta, and yellow.
Should this test fail, try it again without cartridges installed. If the self-test still fails to take paper in and make sounds like the carrier is moving across the paper, this is a hardware issue, and the printer will require service. If the self-test completes without any cartridges installed, run the self-test again with only the color cartridge installed. (If you have both black and color cartridges, after this test, run the test again with just the black cartridge installed.) If you find that either cartridge causes the self-test to fail, please let us know.
If the self-test prints, but has lines or smudges or other print quality issues, please let us know. This includes any print quality issues, we need to know if the problems you have with your black or color are based in the printer, or communications with your computer, or the computer's software.
If the self-test prints your test bar(s) clearly, the printer hardware is not at fault.
If it slams to the left again, the strip is not yet set correctly.
If you cannot repair the strip, please contact Lexmark tech support for further assistance.
Posted on Oct 01, 2009
Hardware Error 0502 on LCD Display ID:ENUS16536
Check the encoder strip on the printer. (This is a clear strip running the length of the printer, above or behind the cartridge carrier.) Do the following:
1. Switch off the printer using the power button.
2. Disconnect the power cable from the back of the Lexmark X5100 / X6100 Series.
3. Leave the power cable disconnected for 30 seconds.
4. Slide the cartridge carrier to the middle of the printer by taking the top part of the belt and moving it gently to the right.
5. Take out both cartridges.
6. Place an index finger on the encoder strip on either side of the cartridge carrier.
7. On the back of the cartridge carrier, there is a small slot that the encoder strip fits into. Slightly push the encoder strip down and then back up to get it into the slot.
8. Lightly press the strip first to the rear and then forward, if necessary.
9. Clean the encoder strip with a dry tissue. Also clean the contacts of the printer.
10. Reconnect the power cable and switch the printer on again.
11. Perform the hardware test without cartridges first and then with both cartridges.*
12. Make a standalone copy.
13. If the copy is satisfactory, repeat the test once to confirm that the error is gone.
How to Perform the Hardware Test on the Lexmark X5150 ID:ENUS3744
Using the operator panel on the printer:
1. Press the Option button 10 times until Cartridges appears on the LED display.
2. Press the + button 4 times until Self test appears on the LED Display.
3. Press Select. The printer should print a sheet of paper with one black bar and one grey bar.
4. If the printer fails to print, remove both cartridges and try the test again. (It will feed the paper through and print a blank page.)
5. If the test works with no cartridges in the printer, run it again with one cartridge at a time installed.
Posted on Oct 01, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get 2 Free calls (no credit card required) and instant help on almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, appliances, handyman, and even pets).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 19, 2011 | Lexmark X6150 All-In-One InkJet Printer
Jan 21, 2011 | Lexmark X6150 All-In-One InkJet Printer
Jan 07, 2011 | Lexmark X6150 All-In-One InkJet Printer
Jan 06, 2011 | Lexmark X6150 All-In-One InkJet Printer
Aug 31, 2010 | Lexmark X6170 All-In-One InkJet Printer
Nov 19, 2009 | Lexmark X6150 All-In-One InkJet Printer
Jan 10, 2009 | Lexmark X6150 All-In-One InkJet Printer
Dec 08, 2008 | Lexmark X6150 All-In-One InkJet Printer
Nov 26, 2008 | Lexmark X6150 All-In-One InkJet Printer
361 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!