Question about Kenmore 34923 / 34925 Progressive Bagged Upright Vacuum
When I push the sweeper forward, the agitator runs normally... but when I pull back the agitator stops.... then starts again when I push the sweeper forward.... agitator stops everytime the sweeper is pulled back.
If you have made no changes to the vacuum's setup and are using it on same carpet you have previously used it on with no problem, then the most likely cause is the agitator/beater bar's drive belt is worn or on some models may have a tension adjustment which is set too loosely. This can also be caused by having the vacuums height adjustment set to low for the carpet or flooring you are using it on, causing to much drag when the vacuum is pulled backwards for the agitator to overcome.
The vast majority of agitators turn in a forward direction, as if it would pull the vacuum forward, when you pull the vacuum backwards the drag is increased.
So...First check height adjustment (a no cost fix), then check out the tension adjustment (if present on you model, some engage when top of vacuum is tilted back after stepping on the release pedal) Lastly, consider changing belt especially if you have had the vacuum awhile or if it gets a fair amount of use or it you seem to need to use it on a low height setting all the time to vacuum up debris.
Hope this helps!
Posted on Dec 19, 2007
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 16, 2017 | Hoover Vacuums
Disconnect cleaner from electrical outlet.
1. Place handle in operating position and turn cleaner over so bottom side is up.
2. To remove bottom plate, insert end of flat screwdriver into wide area of right-hand slot and push handle of screwdriver to the rear. Repeat in left-hand slot.
3. Lift extension of bottom plate, rotate plate and remove from cleaner body.
4. Remove agitator and broken agitator belt.
5. Slip agitator through new belt. (With lettering toward outside of cleaner) and position belt in belt guide. Push end of belt into opening in cleaner body. Reposition agitator making sure to align flat sides of projection on belt end of agitator with flat sides of slot in cleaner body.
6. Place the three tabs on bottom plate into slots in front of cleaner body. Snap bottom plate into place over agitator.
7. Remove hood by turning cleaner over and removing nozzle control knob on front of hood -- grasp knob and pull up.
8. Place handle in operating position and turn cleaner over. Insert end of flat screwdriver into one of the four slots beside an arrow on bottom of cleaner.
9. For slots nearest the rear wheels, push handle of screwdriver toward cleaner handle; for remaining two slots, pry outward to release latches.
I0. Turn cleaner over and lift off hood.
Il. Stretch new belt onto motor pulley.
Extra effort may be required to stretch new belt onto pulley.
Turn agitator, making sure the belt is not pinched between agitator and cleaner body. The belt must rotate freely inside the belt guide. If agitator does not turn, remove bottom plate and reposition belt in belt guide.
Aug 08, 2014 | Hoover Vacuums
Aug 03, 2011 | Kenmore 33078 Bagged Upright Vacuum
May 29, 2010 | Hoover Elite U5061-900 Bagged Upright...
Jan 17, 2010 | Kenmore Vacuums
Dec 12, 2008 | Hoover U8145-900 Savvy Bagless Upright...
Sep 03, 2008 | Kenmore 31913 Progressive Direct Drive...
Apr 25, 2008 | Vacuums
Apr 25, 2008 | Vacuums
Mar 07, 2008 | Vacuums
380 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: