Question about Maxtor Personal Storage 3100 (M01E100) 100 GB Hard Drive
1. Disconnect any other USB devices such as a printer ar any NEW USB device that you added.
2. Use a shorter USB cable. Connect a short USB cable directly into the computer (no hubs)
3. If your external drive came with a 3-prong (Y-cable) cable. Use that.
Posted on Sep 30, 2009
First off let me say that you need USB 2.0 for most external hard drives and an operating system above windows 98 to be in with a chance.
Trying to use a hard drive on USB 1.0 is like trying to push ab avalanche back up the hill
One or more of the hints below will probably sort out most USB problems with most USB portable / external hard drives and OTHER devices (though not always)
A few things to check but assumes USB and Windows for other interfaces / operating systems (mac/ Linux) similar steps may be adapted to suit.
1. Ensure it is connected directly to the computer to a USB 2.0 port not a USB 1.0 port as this can have effects on performance and reliability
2. Use only the cables that came with it NOT one that fits that may have been lying around or is longer. Not all USB cables are equal even though they should be)
3. Do not connect through an external USB HUB unless that hub is USB 2.0 AND has its own power supply.
4. Use ONLY the power supply that came with it if it has an external power supply Don’t use any other unless you know it has both the same voltage and current rating e.g. 12V 500mA anything rated below that would not work properly.
5. Always use the same port for connecting your devices. Some devices do not like being switched about. If switched they may want to install software / drivers again. This can be especially true if you move a HUB to another port
6. For FLASH DRIVES you should ensure that the device is set for "quick removal" using the drive control panel properties or use the USB "Safely Remove Hardware" option. If you don't do this there is a very strong chance that any files you transfer may not be there when you plug into another computer.
If you checked and fixed anything there and still have issues then check your hardware from CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM / HARDWARE.
Any exclamation marks by hardware need fixing before you investigate any further
USB flash drives can fail for no apparent reason.
Sandisk Cruzers are especially bad for this.
USB hard drives should be treated with extreme care.
This is a real hard drive ! and knocks and bumps can quite literally kill them.
It is possible to remove drives from the enclosures in most cases and connect directly inside a PC to fully check it.
You should also do this to check the drives connections are not bad inside the enclosure
Note that if you hear a drive clicking or pinging this could be the worst thing you would hear.
Known as "The Click Of Death"
If none of the above steps help look at updating the drivers from the manufacturers web site in the support section.
Posted on Sep 30, 2009
You need to connect USB 1.1 hub to the external hard drive, if you do not have one try to connect it to the USB hub on your monitor, and then connect the monitor to the computer via USB. If that did not work then do the following:
Connect all drivers that you have as Maxtor, mouse, cd, mp3 etc. then go to device manager, system and go down to the devices that show your drivers and external connection. Delete all devices that you do not know including the Maxtor, etc. When you do that you are telling your computer to delete all drivers and then the computer will search for them again and install them. Now close all windows and shutdown the computer and as soon as it is off give it few seconds and then start it again you will see that the computer taking longer now to start as it is now looking for all attached devices and installing their drives. Now this should fix the issue if you get any error or anything please make sure that post your outcome and notify me personally so I can work on it.
If you need help with anyone then please let me know and I will help with it. Please do not forget to rate my service so we can improve on it with your help. God bless
Posted on Sep 30, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 26, 2014 | Maxtor Personal Storage 3100 (M01B080) 80...
Jan 30, 2011 | Computers & Internet
Oct 31, 2010 | Maxtor Personal Storage 3100 (M01E100) 100...
Apr 13, 2010 | Maxtor Personal Storage 3100 (M01E100) 100...
Feb 13, 2010 | Maxtor Personal Storage 3100 (M01E100) 100...
Jan 29, 2010 | Maxtor Personal Storage 3100 (M01E100) 100...
Jan 12, 2010 | Maxtor Personal Storage 3100 (M01E100) 100...
Dec 08, 2009 | Maxtor Personal Storage 3100 (M01E100) 100...
Nov 07, 2009 | Maxtor Personal Storage 3100 (M01E100) 100...
Jul 09, 2009 | Maxtor Personal Storage 3100 (M01E100) 100...
Oct 05, 2017 | Maxtor Personal Storage 3100 (M01E100) 100...
503 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: