I have a broadband router set up with my laptop, my desktop and an IC phone and it is working fine. But I would like to use the 3rd port for my son's Xbox. After plugging in the ethernet connection to the 3rd port the router does not seem to "recognize" that it is there. The 3rd LED light does not come on and I have tried to reset it twice. Is there something I am missing to allow the 3rd port to work correctly?
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Try: Clarify - the desktop is connected with an ether net cable? Is working? Install router software on desktop to manage router. Trying to connect desktop wirelessly? Wireless card installed? Radio activated? Network detected?
If you purchased a Linksys wireless roter then you shoul not need the switch anymore-
Try going directly from your time warner modem into the Interner/WAN port on the router and then plug your desktop computer and the vontage phone system into 2 of the ports on the router. After everything is hooked up you will probably need to power cycle for it all to work correctly.
Please power cycle in this order:
Reboot modem - then Router- then Vontage phone system.
you are gonna be charged for each MB used, and honestly, it would be a terribly impractical approach.
Just to humor you, you'd do it as such.
Set up your laptop to run all the time. Have the Verizon card plugged in, and always active, and set to never drop connection. You'll now need a crossover cable, and you'll run the rj45 crossover from the ethernet on your laptop to the WAN port on your router. You'll then need to bridge the connections. Some versions of Windows support internet connection sharing; effectively doing the same thing. Now, you should have active internet.
Now, you're going to be charged per MB, you're gonna have a SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW connection, and you should expect $1000 phone bills monthly.
You can still use your existing Linksys router with your cable modem. In fact the router your have is designed to work with DSL/Cable Broadband connections.
1. Make sure to properly connec the devices in your network. Modem will be connected to the Internet port of the router. Then, laptop will be connected to one of the 4 Ethernet ports of the router. For initial setup of your router with modem, you need to hardwire laptop to the router.
2. Press and hold reset at the back of the router for about 15 seconds.
3. After 15 seconds turn off the router and then turn off the modem. Wait for a minute.
4. Power on modem and wait for the lights to be ready.
5. When modem lights are on, turn on router.
6. There should be 4 lights on. Power should be steady green. Internet, WLAN and Ethernet port.
7. Checked if you have Internet connectivity on your laptop while it is wired to the router.
8. If Internet is working, disconnect laptop from wired connection to the router and check available wireless network that laptop can detect.
9. The default wireless network name that the Linksys router broadcasts is "linksys". Connect to it which is an unsecured wireless network.
10. Once you are successfully connected, check Internet.
First make sure you have the blue cable connected from your modem to the wan port on your router. This is the port closest to the power connection. Make sure all of your computers tcp/ip settings are set to obtain ip address automatically. If this still doesn't work unplug your modem and router at the same time for about 60 seconds. Plug in your modem and after all lights come on except the activity light, plug in your router. You should have have the power light, wan light and however many pcs are connected and on lit up. This should solve your problem. If not, add a comment and I'll be glad to come back and help.