Question about Western Digital My Book Essential Edition (WDG1U5000N) 500 GB Hard Drive
There are several reasons the drive may not be getting recognized.
1. No power, does it light up and spin up(whirring sound), if so it's getting power.
2. Have you tried it on a different computer, if it works there the problem is with your PC not with the drive if it doesn't, continue
3. Try a new USB cable, if it doesn't work, has power, didn't work on a different computer or with a new USB cable then the problem is narrowed down to enclosure or drive circuitry
4. Try a new enclosure, take the drive to your local PC shop and have them transfer the HDD inside into a new enclosure and test it, if that works, buy the new enclosure, if it doesn't the issue is with the drive itself
5. If the issue is with the drive you will need the help of a pro to get your files back, reply with your location(Country, State and City) and I will provide you with a referral to a nearby and appropriate professional recovery facility.
Hope this helps FixYa,
Posted on Sep 30, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 01, 2010 | Western Digital My Book Essential Edition...
Oct 27, 2010 | Western Digital 320GB MyBook External USB...
Jul 20, 2010 | Western Digital 320GB MyBook External USB...
May 21, 2008 | Western Digital 320GB MyBook External USB...
Mar 28, 2008 | Western Digital 320GB MyBook External USB...
Mar 06, 2008 | Western Digital 320GB MyBook External USB...
Dec 19, 2007 | Western Digital 320GB MyBook External USB...
Nov 12, 2007 | Western Digital 320GB MyBook External USB...
287 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: