The procedure below is a hack , can interfere with the normal working of the DVD player
*** Please note *** You will need a laptop with an Infrared (IR) port to use this method.
Most modern laptops have now dispensed with IR ports in favour of WiFi and Bluetooth, so you may need to forage around and find an older laptop with IR.
1) Download both parts of Chachi's RAR file (both of these files can be easily found on this forum).
You will need both files, as the ISO image file has been split across two compressed files.
2) Using WinRAR or WinZip unpack the ISO image file to a folder on your hard disk (the desktop is a good place, so you can easily find it later).
To successfully unpack the ISO image file, both of Chachi's RAR files must reside in the same folder.
As you extract the ISO file from the first archive, WinRAR or WinZip will automatically move to the second file and continue the unpacking process.
After the unpacking process has completed you will be left with a single file with the extension ISO.
3) Using Nero (or similar), use the "Burn Image to Disk" feature to burn the ISO CD image onto a blank CD (just copying the ISO image file onto a CD will not work).
I used Nero to achieve this, but most CD burning software can do the same.
4) On the laptop, ensure that the IR port is set to COM2 in the BIOS (note the original settings, so you can put them back after you have reprogrammed DMR-EX77).
Try to select an older IR mode if available.
My old Toshiba Satellite 4030CDT only supported FAST IR modes and wouldn't work.
I then switched to an Acer Aspire 2000 and through trial and error found the "IrDA (HPSIR)" mode worked perfectly.
5) Boot the laptop from the CD
If your laptop does not give you the option to change the boot drive order at POST, you may need to temporarily change your boot drive order in the BIOS (note the original settings, so you can put them back after you have reprogrammed DMR-EX77).
6) When the laptop has sucessfully booted from the CD you will be presented with a menu.
Using the down cursor key, select option "4. Minimal Boot" and press return.
7) At the "A:\>" prompt type "cd winamp" and press return.
8) At the next prompt "A:\>WINAMP\" type "winsamp" and press return.
9) The Remote control test tool should now be loaded (blue screen with white text).
10) Press the "r" key to load in the REMOTE.TXT file (this file contains the IR signal information required to reprogram your DMR-EX77).
11) The captions "button 1" to "button 10" near the bottom of the screen will now have changed from white to pink.
These are the emulated buttons you will need to press in order to unlock you unit.
Ensure "button 1" is highlighted before proceeding to the next step.
12) Power on your DMR-EX77 and switch it to DVD mode.
You must ensure the disk tray is empty during this process.
I had my disk tray empty and ejected (sticking out) during the process just as a precaution.
13) Point the IR port on your laptop at the IR receiver on your DMR-EX77.
The IR port on the DMR-EX77 is located just above the DVD/CD Open/Close button on the right of the unit.
I found the optimum distance between the laptop and the infrared receiver on the DMR-EX77 was approximately 5~6 centimetres, any more and it may not work.
14) With the IR ports aligned and "button 1" highlighted in pink press the return key on the laptop, wait a moment, cursor right to "button 2" and press the return key, wait a moment, cursor right to "button 3" etc....
Keep repeating this procedure until you have entered all buttons highlighted in pink from 1 to 10 in order.
If your DMR-EX77 reacts as mine did during the process you may see the display on the DMR-EX77 change and also experience the TV channel changing.
Don't panic as this appears to be quite normal during the unlocking process.
15) If all has gone well the display on the DMR-EX77 should now read "HELLO" and you should hear the hard disk spin down for a second, then spin up again.
The DMR-EX77 has new reset itself and has successfully been reprogrammed.
Leave the unit alone for approximately 10~15 seconds before doing anything else, just to be on the safe side.
16) The buttons on the front of the DMR-EX77 unit will no longer function, so switch the DMR-EX77 off using the remote control.
If you left the tray poking out during the reprogramming process (as I did), just wait a few seconds and it will close automatically, you can then switch off the DMR-EX77 using the remote.
There is no need to disconnect the DMR-EX77 from the mains supply.
17) Switch the unit back on, pop in any region DVD you like, sit back and enjoy
If this procedure fails or you make a mistake don't panic!
Switch off your DMR-EX77 using the power button and leave it off for a few seconds.
Switch back on your DMR-EX77 and when it's ready try the proceedure again.
I failed several times initially, but it didn't seem to do any harm and everything is fine.
You may also find that changing the IR mode setting in your laptops BIOS may help.
I had to try a few different modes until I found one that worked.
If you can't find the files you need, or require the procedure for using another type of device to region free your DMR-EX77, then visit:http://www.dcevolution.net/panasonic...tpage&Itemid=1