Question about Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
"F11" is a Serial Communications error between the Central Control Unit (CCU) and Motor Control Unit (MCU). The CCU is the main computer for the washer and is located directly behind the wash tub. The MCU is the Drive Motor Control board and is located in the rear of the washer adjacent to the Drive Motor on the left-hand side (facing from the rear with the back panel removed). The wiring harness can also cause the error, but it is not as common a problem.
Whirlpool is the manufacturer of both model washers and recommends the following troubleshooting advice. Remove the top panel of the washer by removing the three screws holding it in place in the rear. Once the screws are removed, the panel slides back, then off. Remove the rear panel of the washer for access to the drive motor and MCU. Now check the following:
- Check the wire harness connections between the CCU, the MCU and Drive Motor. Make sure all connections are attached and making good contact. Check for any broken wires or connector pins.
- Check the Drive Motor to see if it free spins and that the belt is still attached and not slipping. If the motor is seized, replace it. If the belt is broken or worn, replace it as well.
- Check the MCU. Connector 1 is the Serial Communications Link between the MCU and CCU. Connector 2 is the connector to the drive motor. Resistance checks across pins 1, 2, & 3 are the motor windings. Connector 3 is the power supply - 120VAC should be read across pins 1 and 2 with the door in the locked position. NOTE: The connectors are read 1, 2, and 3 from the bottom to the top with the MCU installed.
- Check the CCU. Verify connectors 7 and 11 are properly installed. Facing from the front of the washer, connector 7 is the 4th connector from the RIGHT along the front. This is MCU Power. Connector 11 is the Serial Communications link from the CCU to the MCU and is located along the left hand side of the CCU (the connectors are numbered 11 through 14 back to front).
- Check the Drive Motor. Remove the connector and perform resistance checks on the motor connector pins. Readings across pins 1 to 2, 2 to 3 and 1 to 3 should read 6 ohms.
In most cases this is an indication of a failed CCU. This is an easy repair that the average do-it-yourselfer can accomplish on their own. If the washer is still under a warranty, parts and labor would be covered. With no warranty, a replacement parts will vary in price depending on where you get them. There are several good websites available that you can order parts on line and have shipped directly to you.
NOTE: Remove all the connectors from the CCU ONE AT A TIME and reconnect to see if the error code goes away BEFORE you decide to purchase a new one. It is not common, but sometimes a flaky connection can generate error codes.
Thanks for using FixYa - a 4 THUMBS rating is appreciated for answering your FREE question.
Posted on Sep 12, 2010
HI. Here is a procedure that will help you unlock this door and , it will also lead you to a secret tech sheet hidden inside the lower panel. This sheet will help you in the future with unpublished trouble codes and solutions as well. First, you must unplug the machine.
Next, remove the lower front kick panel. You will need a star-head driver (six points), which you can get at your Sears store. It requires a fairly small unit. I used an interchangeable handle with swappable parts to match the right size head.
The three star-head screws are located along the bottom of the kick panel. If the washer is sitting on the optional pedestal, be sure to pull the drawer out before proceeding. Then unscrew each of the screws and place in a plastic bag to avoid losing them.
The front panel is now attached by pressure to the rest of the washer. Take a crowbar or any slim tool to pry open the panle. Cover the end with a thin paper towel to avoid scratching the paint on the washer, insert the thin end low in the gap between the washer and the panel, and gently twist until the side pops off. Do both sides.
Once the panel has been removed, look to the right on the side of the inner wall of the washer. There you will find the lost manual pages intended to help the tech interpret error code and fix conditions. It also contains instructions on how to (((UNLOCK THE DOOR))). Take the manual pages out from behind the plastic envelope (they are taped and sealed, be careful not to tear them) and put them with the rest of the user manual, where they belong.
You can now see the inside of the washer. Look up in the inside where the latch for the door closes. You will see a small plastic black box. Pull the bottom end straight down. Then, open the door.
--Concerning the F-11 code--
Communication between the Central Control Unit (CCU) and the Motor Control Unit (MCU) cannot be sent correctly.
• Check Wire Harness connections to the MCU, the motor, and Central Control Unit (CCU)
• Check the Drive system for any worn or failed components
• Check MCU (Motor control Unit)
• Check CCU (Central Control Unit)
• Check Motor
• Check Wire Harness
Replace failed component.(Most likely, the wiring harness connections are loose. If the harness is correctly connected to all components, and there are no visible worn connectors, replace the entire machine wiring harness)
Posted on Sep 28, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get 2 Free calls (no credit card required) and instant help on almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, appliances, handyman, and even pets).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 01, 2014 | Maytag Bravos MTW6600T Top Load Washer
Nov 28, 2013 | Samsung 4.3 cu. ft. VRT Plus , Steam and...
Nov 10, 2011 | Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P Front Load Washer
Feb 12, 2011 | Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P Front Load Washer
Mar 14, 2009 | Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P Front Load Washer
Feb 25, 2009 | Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P Front Load Washer
Dec 19, 2008 | Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P Front Load Washer
Dec 17, 2008 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Nov 23, 2008 | Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P Front Load Washer
Nov 19, 2015 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
84 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: