Question about GE Advantium SCA2001BSS Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave cooked dinner and now does work

It is dead, dead and dead
Breaker is not tripped.
Check volts (240) and there is power the outlet.
any suggestions? Would like to potentially replace internal fuse but not sure if that is something I can do and how to go about it. Can't find any online literature that describes what to do. Moved into this home in May and already had to replace a 5 year old Bosch dishwasher and a 6 year old Maytag Washing Machine....what do high end electronics fail so much?

Anyone assistance is def. appreciated. I am located in MetroWest Boston....

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer
Re: Microwave cooked dinner and now does work

I had the same exact problem -- turned out the cooling fan for the magnetotron wasn't coming on because of a bad relay on the main control board. When the magnetotron overheated a safety kicked on which tripped an internal relay and killed power to the unit. GE repair guy diagnosed and resolved the problem. Only snag was that they didn't have a spare board so I had to wait a few days for them to deliver a replacement and for the guy to come back and install it. Now has been working for 5 days... of course I probably jinxed myself now! :)

Posted on Dec 11, 2008

Add Your Answer

0 characters

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add


3 Points

Related Questions:

1 Answer


Maybe time for a new one. But just in case check the power outlet still has power and the circuit breaker is not tripped.

Dec 01, 2015 | Daewoo KOR-1B4H Microwave Oven

2 Answers


the panel display is fried. you'll need to remove and replace it...this the sort of thing you enjoy doing?

May 23, 2008 | GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

No power, no clock, no light. Dead

you cant do much about this.. the only thing you can do is check if the power is going to the magnetron unit or not.
but i wouldnt suggest you to experiment with the unit as it can cause short circuits.
you should rather go find a cheap electrician

Mar 17, 2014 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

New microwave stopped working after 15 seconds

Possibly the fuse / breaker is tripped, usually all outlets in one room share same breaker. Check breakers (or fuses) or try outlet in differnt room. If the outlet has power, (plugin a lamp to check) and the microwave still does not work, take it back to store for replacement or refund.

May 11, 2013 | Oster OGG61403 1.4 Cubic-foot Digital...

1 Answer

Lg microwave oven trips circuit breaker

The magnetron probably has a partial short pulling more current than normal as it runs, the other two items that give trouble is the high voltage diode, "sometimes cracks" to the high voltage capacitor, "usually shorts"

Mar 29, 2012 | LG Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My microwave/convection oven will not heat up, but the lights and clock work


Look to see if the microwave power cord is securely plugged into a live power outlet. The power cord cannot be loose for proper function. Move other appliances to a separate outlet if possible.

Replace or reset the circuit breaker or fuse if blown or tripped.

Unplug the microwave and wait several seconds before plugging it back in to reset.

Make sure there are no current functions in use. Press "Clear/Off" to cancel any other settings or programs already in progress.

Select a new cooking program and then select "Cook Time." Make a time selection and press the "Start/Pause" pad to begin cooking.

Oct 04, 2011 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I was cooking food for 1 minute and it just shut off after approx. 30 sec. There are no lights or power now. The outlet is fine. The unit is 4 yrs old.

Check your other appliance. You may have tripped a break. If they are all functioning, and you have no dead outlets in your kitchen, then the unit will need to be serviced. Hope it's the breaker.
a 1200w microware will draw 10 amps all by itself. Your outlets are most likely on 15 amp breakers, so it wouldn't take much amp draw from another kitchen appliance to trip the breaker.

May 11, 2011 | Dacor DMT2420SS Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Machine will not turn on

from online Microwave Repair Manual: Totally dead oven (no lights, no clock, no display, no fan, no heat...)First, check power to the outlet using a lamp or radio you know works. The fuse or circuit breaker at your service panel may have blown/tripped due to an overload or fault in the microwave oven or some other appliance. You may just have too many appliances plugged into this circuit - microwave ovens are high current appliances and should be on a dedicated circuit if possible. If you attempt to run a heating appliance like a toaster or fryer at the same time, you *will* blow the fuse or trip the circuit breaker. A refrigerator should never be plugged into the same circuit for this reason as well - you really don't want it to be without power because of your popcorn!

If you find the fuse blown or circuit breaker tripped, unplug everything from the circuit to which the microwave is connected (keep in mind that other outlets may be fed from the same circuit). Replace the fuse or reset the circuit breaker. If the same thing happens again, you have a problem with the outlet or other wiring on the same branch circuit. If plugging in the microwave causes the fuse to blow or circuit breaker to trip immediately, there is a short circuit in the power cord or elsewhere.

The microwave oven may be powered from a GFCI outlet or downstream of one and the GFCI may have tripped. (Removing a broken oven lamp has been known to happen.) The GFCI outlet may not be in an obvious location but first check the countertop outlets. The tripped GFCI could be in the garage or almost anywhere else! Pushing the RESET button may be all that's needed.

Next, try to set the clock. With some ovens the screen will be totally blank following a power outage - there may be nothing wrong with it. Furthermore, some ovens will not allow you perform any cooking related actions until the clock is set to a valid time.

Assuming these are not your problems, a fuse has probably blown although a dead controller is a possibility.

While you can do some repairs on your microwave, what you don't know can kill you... even on an unplugged microwave, so make sure you understand the dangers and how to reduce them before you try anything inside a microwave. If you want to do more yourself, go to the link at the top of this post.

Oct 21, 2010 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I had a fire in the microwave and now it doesn't turn on. Is there a reset button or do I have to go buy a new one?

It sounds like an internal fuse has blown. Unplug unit and carefully open the top cover to provide access to the A.C. power cord entry point. Hopefully the fuse is located in that area and is the older style 1/2" long glass or ceramic body with metal endcap on each end. ONLY REPLACE WITH A FUSE THAT HAS IDENTICAL ELECTRICAL RATINGS! After replacing the fuse and top cover reconnect the unit to the A.C. outlet and check to see if it is still dead. Still dead = repair shop time.

NOTE: Use a "fused" A.C. outlet strip (usually 6 outlets with circuit breaker) for your "after fuse replaced" testing. This gives you additional protection against accidentally tripping a breaker in your homes electrical panel.

Oct 19, 2010 | Maytag Microwave Ovens

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE Advantium SCA2001BSS Microwave Oven Logo

205 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8803 Answers


Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1059 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides