I've attached the steps needed to be taken if your computer does not turn off.
If you pc is turned off and you can't turn it on now, please provide me more informations like;
- what is the color of your screen
- what written on your screen
- Can you see cursor blinking or arrow
- Any error message displayed?
- The HP or Compaq Logo Screens are Missing on Startup
- When the pc stops responding, before or after Windows start up?
Steps below is to show you how to resolve the issue of the pc not shutting down.
Step 1: Using one anti-virus program
You only need one anti-virus program. If more than one anti-virus program is open at the same time, uninstall the extra software programs. Several virus scanning software on the same PC can create software conflicts. This is also true for multiple versions of the same anti-virus software. For example, if Norton Antivirus version five and Norton Antivirus version 2002 are both installed on the same PC, uninstall the older version (version 5 in this case). Use the following steps to remove programs:
Step 2: Disabling Software that opens with Windows
- In Windows XP, click Start , then Control Panel.
- In Windows 95, 98, and Me, click Start , Settings , then Control Panel
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs
- Select the anti-virus software that you want to remove and click the Add/Remove button, or the Change/Remove button in Windows XP.
- Restart the PC when the uninstaller has finished.
- When the Windows desktop appears, restart the PC again. The PC should shut down and restart normally this time. If not, continue to the next step.
For troubleshooting purposes, reduce the amount of software that opens with Windows to try and find out if a software conflict is occurring.
Step 3: Turning off all power options
- Open the Microsoft System Configuration software (Msconfig), remove the selection next to Load Startup Items , click OK , and restart the PC.
- For more information, refer to Preventing Programs from Opening When Windows Starts .
Restart the PC using Windows.
- If the Windows still fails to close, continue to next step.
Turn off all Windows power management options and shut down the PC as follows.
Step 4: Upgrading the BIOS
- In Windows XP, click Start , Control Panel , and then Performance and Maintenance.
- In Windows 95, 98, and Me, click Start , Settings , and then Control Panel .
- Double-click the Power Options icon.
- The Power Options Properties window appears.
- Click the Power Schemes tab and change all selections under Settings for Always On power scheme to Never .
- Click the Hibernate tab and remove the check mark from Enable hibernate support .
- Click the OK button to accept the changes, and then restart the PC.
- When the Windows desktop appears, restart the PC again. The PC should shut down and restart normally this time. Regardless, continue to the next Step to see if a BIOS update is available.
The BIOS is code that the PC uses at start up and is responsible for many things. One of those things is power management, which can get in the way of the shutdown process.
Please rate my solution.