Question about Electrical Supplies

1 Answer

Changing downlight globes

I have 50w dimmable down-lights in my new house and I need to replace the globes in two. They are of the type that the whole unit pulls out of the hole cut into the plaster ceiling and not where the inner globe housing screws out. The first one came out fine but the second is cracking the plaster. The more I try to get it out the more damage it's doing. Is there a tool I can get to remove the fitting safely.

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert who has answered 20 questions.


    An expert that hasĀ over 10 points.


    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 2 times.

  • Contributor
  • 34 Answers

If its the gu10 bulbs that you twist round to release them well theres a small ****** that sticks on the bulb and removes it leaving the actual light fitting in the ceiling.

Posted on Sep 27, 2009

1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Bought LED 8w(50W) bulb for range hood, bulbs work fine when turned on to regular mode but don't work on the second setting that supposed to make them a little dimmer. Do I need dimmable bulb or is this...

not a bulb problem, the computer board is what makes the light dim. for the price of replacing the main board i would just let it work the way it is. if the light fails completely, then think about a new board, but its not really a thing that is needed.

Dec 30, 2013 | Maytag MZD2766GES Side by Side...

1 Answer


Connect to live and neutral, cap other wires and see what happens.
If you have 2 live wires, you might have 3-way switch

Nov 13, 2011 | Home

1 Answer

I have just purchased 3 new Philips MR16 10w LED lamps to try in existing 12v 50w fittings - each with its own electronic dimmable 6o v/a elec t/x. As soon as the lights are switched on with the new lamps...

The LED light bulbs operate at 3 to 5 V usually. The noise your hearing is a result of the voltage reduction within the internal workings of the lamp base. The lamps should be installed with an
LED driver vs a transformer power supply.

This is usually on most packaging:

LED MR16 lamps operate in the same fittings as regular 12V lamps. However, they work best when they are mated with an led driver in place of the transformer.
Example of an LED driver:

The noise will not go away unless you use an LED driver with the MR16 lamps.

Thanks for choosing FixYa.

Jul 22, 2011 | Hardware & Accessories

1 Answer

Three years ago installed more than 30 recessed halogen 12V 50W lamps in the ceilings during renovations. Have since spent a large amount calling the electrician to change the transformers when this or...

it was a mistake to install them in first place, now, if your transformer blows, that meant that it is overloaded!

primary solutionto the problem, without adding cost of re-wiring will be change globes (50w) to these of lower wattage, say 40w or even less and this will protect transformers from blowing up.

another solution will be to what is load on the transformer, it must be at least 20% greater than combined light supported. if it is not, then duiring power fluctuation it can, and will be burn out.

say, you have 30 lights and 3 switches, this meant that you have three circuits of say 10 lights. 10lights x 50w = 500wat!!! that is rather large and costly transformer, to avoid this prohibitive cost, solve problem otherways, buy 120watt or 150watt transformer and wire two globes to each. this will provide margin as well as enough supply to support your light.

please bear in mind that you are legally not allowed to touch anything what is connected to mains except changing the globe! you need to speak with elelctrician and come to solution in cooperation with eleloctrician.

if you find this advice useful, please do not hesitate to leave comment and vote for me, thanx!

Jul 29, 2010 | Garden

1 Answer

A downlight transformer has failed it is a 20-105w/va & the primary wires black & red come out the same end as the secondary wires -these are a black &red & 2 others to the light. On the...

your new transformer should be fine unless your downlight lamp is 20w,most are 50w 12v so you should check this first.
As for connection your mains supply (primary) connects red to either of the 2 live terminals and black to any of the neutral.The 2 wires from your lamp then go into any pair of the secondary terminals.polarity doesn't matter that is why they are not marked.The transformer can supply 105 w so 2 50w lamps may be connected.

Oct 27, 2009 | Kitchen Appliances - Others

1 Answer

How can I replace or clean my headlight globe of a 1998 Galant

Headlight globe, meaning the inside of the headlight? If thats what you mean, only way to do it, is to take the lens off, and in order to do that, you need to take out the headlight, take off the rubber backings and take out the light bulbs. Then preheat your oven to 210 degrees, stick your light in there for 10 minutes, and pry apart the lens, since the glue will melt. Dont forget to undo the clips that also hold the lens to the housing. After you pry off the lens, clean or whatever you need to do. Then reseat the lens and hook the clips, then back in the oven it goes for 10 mins. Then hold pressure on the lens untill glue hardens.

Hope that helps.

They will not have or sell replacement globes, it will come with the whole headlight.

May 29, 2009 | 1998 Mitsubishi Galant

1 Answer

Downlighter wiring diagram

I strongly encourage you to contact a licensed electrician for this work. No offense intended, mate...Electrical work is the one thing I would strongly discourage the average homeowner from doing. Unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing, its too easy to make a simple mistake that could injure or kill you and/or your family.

Last time I worked on an electrical system in Europe, it was because a homeowner (improperly) wired new lights into the place I lived that nearly burnt the place down. All of the fixtures had charred wood under them and the insulation had burnt off of the mains.

Apr 05, 2009 | Electrical Supplies

1 Answer

Light Globes

You have 12 volt globes that are 50 watts power. Check out a home improvement store/lighting store for a replacement.

Sep 11, 2008 | Camping, Backpacking & Hiking

Not finding what you are looking for?
Electrical Supplies Logo

Related Topics:

424 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Electrical Supplies Experts


Level 3 Expert

3287 Answers

Gene Haynes

Level 3 Expert

5089 Answers

Brad Brown

Level 3 Expert

15557 Answers

Are you an Electrical Supply Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides