Question about Western Digital My Book Home Edition 500 GB USB Hard Drive
3 drives all doing the same thing. They won't power up. Other drives work fine.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: POwer supply failure
Happened to me too. The pins on the power supply break easily. Search the ac adapter model number. should be DA-30C01 or something. can find it for sale on the net somewhere under model name.
Posted on Dec 21, 2008
External drives tend to use power supplies at 12V DC and 1 amp or just a little bit over. You could read the output of the power supply with a digital volt meter. If you have power and the enclosure still refuses to turn on, you could buy another enclosure, another power supply, or just a naked USB to IDE adapter and pull the drive out of the existing enclosure.
Chances are, the drive you get out of the housing will never be going back into that case.
Posted on Jul 11, 2009
One or more of the hints below will probably sort out most USB problems with most USB portable / external hard drives and OTHER devices (though not always)
A few things to check but assumes USB and Windows for other interfaces / operating systems (mac/ Linux) similar steps may be adapted to suit.
1. Ensure it is connected directly to the computer to a USB 2.0 port not a USB 1.0 port as this can have effects on performance and reliability
2. Use only the cables that came with it NOT one that fits that may have been lying around or is longer. Not all USB cables are equal even though they should be)
3. Do not connect through an external USB HUB unless that hub is USB 2.0 AND has its own power supply.
4. Use ONLY the power supply that came with it if it has an external power supply Don’t use any other unless you know it has both the same voltage and current rating e.g. 12V 500mA anything rated below that would not work properly. 5. Always use the same port for connecting your devices. Some devices do not like being switched about. If switched they may want to install software / drivers again. This can be especially true if you move a HUB to another port
6. For FLASH DRIVES you should ensure that the device is set for "quick removal" using the drive control panel properties or use the USB "Safely Remove Hardware" option. If you dont do this there is a very strong chance that any files you transfer may not be there when you plug into another computer.
7. It is possible to remove drives from the enclosures in most cases and connect directly inside a PC to fully check it.
You should also do this to cheack the drives connections are not bad inside the enclosure.
8. If none of the above steps help look at updating the drivers from the manufacturers web site in the support section.
9. If you checked and fixed anything there and still have issues then check your hardware from CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM / HARDWARE.
Any exclamation marks by hardware need fixing before you investigate any further
10. ensure that you have set removable drives for "quick removal" or that you use the "Safly Remove Hardware" option often shown on the lower toolbar.It is possible that files my not be fully written to external devices before they are removed. This corrupts the file itself and even on occasion the drive.
Posted on Nov 17, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 25, 2011 | Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB...
Mar 25, 2010 | Western Digital My Book Essential 500GB...
Dec 17, 2009 | Western Digital Computers & Internet
Oct 02, 2009 | Western Digital Elements powered by WD 320...
Aug 02, 2009 | Western Digital Elements powered by WD 320...
Jun 30, 2009 | Western Digital Elements powered by WD 320...
Jun 13, 2009 | Western Digital Elements powered by WD 320...
Jun 11, 2009 | Western Digital Elements powered by WD 320...
Mar 08, 2009 | Western Digital Elements powered by WD 320...
152 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: