An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: microwave arced, wont heat now
I'm assuming that it doesn't microwave either. If it does...then the heater is bad. Sears parts sells them. Second guess is a blown fuse or thermosensor. Inside the pad housing, locate the internal fuse and replace it if blown. The thermosensor is a black plastic bit about the diameter of a dime and 3/8 inch thick and clamped to the side of the unit inside the control area. Test it for continuity and replace if open. If not either of these, then you have power supply issues or control panel problems. My bet: the heater blew out. Often, this is caused when you heat greasy foods.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
That's actually a mica "window" (cover) for the microwaves to come out. And it sounds like the magnetron started arcing and burned a hole in that cover. Either that, or some food (frequently spaghetti sause) got splattered on it, and the microwaves heated it up so much that it burned a hole in the cover. Does the microwave oven still work (heat)? Do you see or hear any arcing? If the microwave oven still works and there is no arcing, you can just replace that cover. Check SearsPartsDirect.com or RepairClinic.com.
Take warm soapy water and clean until spotless, food partical build up will cause arcing, if no change! the microwave hood is a another trouble spot, if any bare metal is showing it will arc and need to be replaced, if everything checks out the magnetron is bad and will eventually fail.
Arcing in the oven chamber with a normal load (a cup of water, for example), often just indicates that a thorough cleaning of the oven chamber is needed, particularly around and inside/above the waveguide cover. Any food that gets trapped here will eventually burn and carbonize resulting in a focal point for further arcing. Usually, the waveguide cover is designed to be removable without taking the (cabinet) cover off of the oven. However, burnt food and carbon often make this difficult so that some disassembly will be required. See the sections: "SAFETY" and "Getting inside a microwave oven".
for more information see "Arcing in or above oven chamber" section of online Microwave Repair Manual. If the microwave is clean, please post a reply and I will look at it again (this time include a model # and/or approx manufacture date)
First these areas should be cleaned with a mild, non-ammonia cleaner on a soft cloth. You can use a grille brush if it's stubborn. Any metal chipped or charred metal will have to be sanded smooth and clean.
Then you should apply some high-temperature appliance paint, available from places like Wal-Mart or Lowe's.
You can find handy exploded views and order any needed parts at the Sears Parts Site.
happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful
rating of our answer.
It could be that the "grinding" noise was actually "arcing" taking place inside the cavity or uder the cover. The magnatron is possibly damaged or the h.v. diode. Should be repaired by qualified repairman
Your problem is due to the "magnetron" arcing to the wave guide within the microwave. Picture someone arc-welding stuff together inside the microwave casing, that's essentially what's happening. It is a fire hazard and you should stop using the microwave immediately. As far as I know, there isn't a recall on that particular model (though there was on another similar Kenmore/Whirlpool model) so if it's out of warranty, you're out of luck.
A LOUD ticking sound could very well be a High Voltage Arc. This is usually caused by a breakdown of insulation on High Voltage Wires, or components. It can also be arcing between the door frame and the cavity. Usually where the bottom of the cavity floor meets the door frame. Indication of this will be small areas on the door where it looks like the paint has been chipped off, but if you look close you will see it is small burned marks. Another area is the Splatter Shield located inside and at the top. It looks like a Plastic Cover. It is not plastic, but a fiber material. Grease, and food will get trapped on and under this Splatter Shield. Over a period of time the grease and food particles will break down from being cooked over and over again. They will then form Carbon. Which will Arc when Microwaves are present. Remove Push-Pins holding Splatter Shield. Clean by washing with dish detergent . If burned (arc) spots are still present after washing, replace Splatter Shield or arcing will continue. Once Carbon has burned through, it will continue to burn.