Howdy! Anyone have advice for a microwave that goes through all the right motions, but is failing to heat food at all? Its "hum" is now much louder than it used to be. My guess: Whatever shoots the microwaves has gone out.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: Kenmore 89942 Microwave no longer heating food
Grass...I'd go for checking the fuses and the thermosensor...a black plastic button with two wires coming out of it that is about the diameter of a dime and 3/8 inch thick. If either is open, no power to the magnetron. Your unit may have a diagram inside. Have a look. The magnetron...? I doubt it.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Check whether there is a proper power supply. Look to see whether the cord is connected to a grounded 3-prong outlet and the cord is fully plugged in. If the electrical system is built-in and no power cord is visible, replace or reset the household fuse or circuit breaker.
Some basic microwave operational steps may affect whether the microwave is heating. Open and close the microwave door, as the unit will not function with the door open, and push "Stop/Clear" to cancel any previous settings, such as the timer, which do not heat the microwave oven.
Setting the Microwave
Once the power to the microwave has been reset, or verified as working, and the microwave is ready to run, select a new cook cycle and press "Start" to see if the microwave begins to run and cook food as expected. Allow the food to cook for the alloted time and then open the microwave door and check to see if the food has cooked or heated. Choose a longer cooking time and restart the microwave if food is heating but is cooking slowly.
If all efforts to troubleshoot the function and power to the microwave still do not get the appliance heating food as expected, there may be a repair issue that needs to be addressed. Contact professional technician for advice.
The microwaves are produced by what is known as a KLYSTRON TUBE. Like anything, early failure is possible. There is also the possibility that the transformer or electronic circuit providing the correct voltage to the KLYSTRON has failed, either from over-use, manufacturing defect, or leakage from the KLYSTRON enclosure, which creates heat.
With microwaves being as CHEAP as they are, replacement should not be an issue.
My Kenmore 721.63259301 would not heat items up so I came here and saw
the parts required and was just about to order them when I checked the
online owners manual and found this. FULL FIVE-YEAR WARRANTY ON
THE MAGNETRON For five years from the date of purchase, if the
magnetron in this Kenmore microwave oven
fails due to a defect in material or workmanship,
Sears will repair it free of charge.
My microwave has a manufacture date of July 2009 so I will be taking it
right to the closest Sears repair center for a free repair. I suggest
everyone do the same.
u need to clean the cavity inside the microwave .. step to clean that .. put a cup of water nearly half filled( 30 ml ) and start microwave for five minutes .. after that just open microwave and clean from inside with clean cotton cloth .. this will surely help ..
simply stated.. if it fails to cook.. you may have either a bad magnetron tube ( that's the part that generates the microwave energy that cooks the food) or the filament transformer feeding that magnetron is bad. In either case.. you're probably better off replacing the entire appliance than repairing it.. Hope that helps...
I'm assuming that it doesn't microwave either. If it does...then the heater is bad. Sears parts sells them. Second guess is a blown fuse or thermosensor. Inside the pad housing, locate the internal fuse and replace it if blown. The thermosensor is a black plastic bit about the diameter of a dime and 3/8 inch thick and clamped to the side of the unit inside the control area. Test it for continuity and replace if open. If not either of these, then you have power supply issues or control panel problems. My bet: the heater blew out. Often, this is caused when you heat greasy foods.