Question about Sharp R-1480 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave ovens What is the little rectangular cover inside the oven and usually to the right hand side do.Mine has started sparking when cooking. When I started the microwave oven I noticed sparks coming from the right side behind the cover I turned it off and unplugged it I completely wipe the inside of the oven clean and washed the turntable after drying everything I plugged it back put something th cook in it and it statred to spark again. I previously left some bread in a metal bowl for several hours but the oven was never on at the time.

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 833 Answers
Re: microwave ovens

The cover is probably the magenetron. That is where the microwaves come from. If the bread was moist, it might have left condensate in the unit which is causing the sparking. Unplug the unit, leave the door open over night. If you can remove that cover, do so. Be sure to carefully replace it before using the unit. Never turn on a microwave with nothing in it.

Posted on Dec 17, 2007

Add Your Answer

0 characters

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add


3 Points

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Sparks when starting then goes to pause mode

see this next steps. God bless you
If you see arcing or sparking inside a microwave, turn unit off immediately. Arcing can be caused by having something metal in the oven cavity touching a side, an oven shelf is touching the side of the cavity, an oven shelf support has broken, microwave waveguide, or bad magnetron.
If your microwave has a shelf in it, and you do not use it, keep it out. If one of the shelf supports breaks or comes out, the microwave will arc where the support was. You will have to sand the spot down, paint with appliance paint and re-install support. If the shelf shifts on the support and touches the side it will arc.
Your magnetron waveguide will either come out of the top, or side of the oven cavity. Some will have a stirrer in it(mostly top waveguides) with a panel over, or just a cardboard type cover over it. Over time, the stirrer cover can become warped from the heat which will expose the stirrer's metal shaft which will then cause sparking. These covers and stirrers come in a kit and can be replaced from inside the oven cavity.
Your cover over a side waveguide is coated with a substance on it, and overtime this coating can come off from the heat and moisture in the microwave. These waveguide covers are very easy to replace from inside the oven cavity. Touch up any paint that may have chipped or come off because of the arcing.
If your waveguide cover and/or stirrer are all OK, then the spark is coming from your magnetron. The antenna on your magnetrom has overheated and burned, sending the microwaves out at the wrong angle. If you catch this microwave oven repair early enough, you can usually get by with just replacing the magnetron. If the arcing has caused servere damage inside the waveguide, you will need a new microwave. Waveguides are not replaceable and most you can barely see into them, let alone sand and re-paint. In this case of microwave oven repair, when you remove the magnetron, you will see the burned antenna, or your magnetron will fail the test below.


Oct 03, 2012 | Kenmore Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I get an occasional spark when microwave is in use

Presuming that you have iliminated the possibility of any metal objects that are not meant to be in the machine being in there (and this includes dishes and other items with silver or gold leaf on them, which WILL spark and burn!) then take a look inside the oven its self. You will find a waveguide cover. It is usually a strange flakey silvery plastic/card like material called Mica and is usually on the same side of the microwave wall as the control panel (So if the picture on this thread is accurate, I will guess the Mica cover is on the right hand wall inside as you look at the machine from the front) . Over time, the magnatron (the thing that creates the microwave energy) will often burn a hole through the mika, or cause a dark brown or black burn mark in it. If this cover is even slightly damaged then it may well cause sparking inside the machine. These covers are designed to be removed and you can buy replacements for them from electrical stores.

Aug 12, 2011 | GE Advantium SCA1001HSS Convection...

1 Answer

What is the mica cover?

Hi, a mica cover is inside the oven cavity, usually on the right hand side or in the roof you will usually see a small cover that looks like it is made of cardboard. It is often held in by one or more screws. It is called the waveguide cover. It is usually made of a material called Mica. Its purpose is to cover the aperture through which the microwaves enter the oven cavity from where they are produced by the Magnetron behind the control panel. It stops moisture and food particles getting into the "workings" of the microwave.

Mar 09, 2011 | Cuisinart CMW-100 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I was cleaning inside the microwave and a rectangular part on the inside came off the right hand wall. I cleaned it further and tore it. Is this needed in the microwave, can I get a replacement?

That piece is called the waveguide cover. It's a mica sheet that goes over the hole in the side of the oven where the microwaves enter the cooking cavity. While the oven can work without it, you should replace it. It's meant to keep food particles and dirt from getting into the area of the microwave antenna, where it can possibly lead to damage.

I gather from researching the part that yours is a UK model oven. Here is a source for the replacement waveguide cover. If you're in some other part of the world, at least you'll know what you're looking for when you search for a more convenient source. You may be able to find a replacement locally, as the waveguide cover is a commonly-replaced item. Check with appliance parts houses or service shops in your area to see if one might be available.

Dec 29, 2010 | Sharp R-244 800 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer


usually sparks come from turning and cooking with nothing inside the microwave..if there is grease or something on the bottom the heat will generate a spark

Mar 22, 2009 | Emerson MW8102SS 1100 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave ovens

The Magnetron has failed, causing the waveguide to become damaged. If the waveguide is damaged/burned the microwave can not be repaired and should be replaced.

Dec 25, 2008 | GE Advantium 120 Convection/Microwave Oven

1 Answer


check inside the microwave oven , at high voltage section wiring probem, change the wiring, and magnetron, other related spares.

Nov 03, 2007 | GE Advantium SCA2001BSS Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Microwave ovens

Can't tell you much about your little rectangle, but sparks can result from left over food particles that got carbonized, and a good cleaning might get rid of it, unless you like looking at the sparks(I heard you shouldn't stare at a microwave while working though, washing machines are safer). make sure you unplug it while cleaning or doing anything else, those micros are dangerous as hell. Take care

Mar 15, 2006 | Sharp R-220BW Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Sharp R-1480 Microwave Oven Logo

558 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Sharp Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8795 Answers


Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

Are you a Sharp Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides