Question about Maytag Atlantis MAV9750A Top Load Washer
To replace the snubber and brake assembly on your Maytag washer, just follow these steps:
1. Remove the front case of the washer to access the washer interior.
2. Tilt the washer towards the back and remove the drive belt. Slide the drive motor towards the center pulley to relieve belt tension.
3. Remove the drive pulley by removing the center cap and retaining ring from the drive shaft. Remember how these components go back together. There should be a couple of plastic drive bearing pieces and some metal washers above the pulley on the shaft.
3. Lower washer and remove hoses from the wash tub.
4. Remove the suspension springs. NOTE: Pulling the wash tub towards the spring you are removing will release some of the tension on it.
5. I usually remove the entire wash tub with transmission still installed at this point and place it upside down outside the washer for ease of accessing everything. (There are other methods, but I find this one easier).
6. This is where a brake compression tool will be required to remove the brake rotor, stator and snubber ring. (Instructions come with the tool). Basically, it involves compressing the spring by turning the compression tool CW with a wrench, loosening all the bolts on the brake stator housing, and then slowly turning the compression tool CCW.
7. The brake compression tool is removed at this point and the snubber, brake rotor, brake stator and brake spring can be accessed.
8. Replace any worn parts, and reassemble the brake assembly. DO NOT forget to place the brake spring back in place before putting the brake rotor back on.
9. Place the tub assembly right side up and lower back into washer.
10. Reconnect all hoses back to wash tub.
11. Reinstall all tub suspension springs. NOTE: It’s easier to start in the back of the washer and work your way towards the front.
12. Tilt washer back and reinstall drive pulley. NOTE: When placing drive pulley back on shaft turn pulley slightly to ensure it is seated all the way on the shaft. NOTE: If the shaft had multiple metal washers, you may only need ONE after replacing the snubber ring. Retain the extra washer for later use if needed. If the drive pulley is reinstalled correctly, a groove will be visible at the end of the drive shaft for the retaining ring to go back in place.
13. Reinstall drive belt.
NOTE: The following link lists the recommended tools to complete this repair:
Spring Removal Tool (item #455570)
Brake/Bearing/Seal Removal Tool Kit (item #997909)
However, I had a suggestion from someone I had helped in the past that provided this brilliant idea to save money instead of purchasing the brake release tool:
"I removed the 6 10-24 machine bolts, that hold the brake stator housing, one at a time and replaced them with 10-24 x 2" machine bolts. Once all the original bolts were removed, I backed out the 2" machine bolts evenly, keeping the brake stator housing aligned but slowly releasing the pressure from the 200 lb spring.
After replacing the snubber ring, the break and the break stator housing, I again use the 2" long machine screws to pull the unit together. Once all assembled, I replaced the 2" bolts with the original 10-24 X 1/2" machine bolts." Tip courtesy of rrdumas53.
If you have questions about this repair, please let me know. I hope you find these instructions helpful.
Posted on Sep 24, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 21, 2012 | Maytag Neptune MAH5500B Front Load Washer
Dec 03, 2010 | Maytag Washing Machines
Oct 14, 2010 | Maytag Neptune MAH5500B Front Load Washer
Jun 23, 2010 | Maytag Neptune MAH5500B Front Load Washer
Jun 10, 2009 | Maytag Neptune MDG5500AW Gas Dryer
Jan 04, 2009 | Maytag PAV2300 Top Load Washer
Jun 20, 2008 | Dryers
Feb 06, 2008 | Maytag Atlantis MAV6000 Top Load Washer
Nov 10, 2007 | Maytag Atlantis MAV6260AWW Top Load Washer
Sep 19, 2012 | Maytag Atlantis MAV9750A Top Load Washer
695 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: