Question about Western Digital My Book Essential Edition (WDG1U5000N) 500 GB Hard Drive
I just installed a new hard driveit comes on and runs but windows is telling me it is not there, do i need software too boot it up or what.
This should come with power adapter to power up the hard drive. Make sure that the USB drivers all completely installed on your windows.
Please refer on your device manager. If there is any ? on the list of device manager, right click and uninstall. Unplug all USB devices except for mouse and keyboard if its USB. Restart the computer and login to windows then plug the External Hard Drive. There should be a power adapter came with it. On some External Hard Drive, there is a software came with it, but mostly those are for backups.
Please plug the External hard drive at the main USB port at the back of the Computer.
Let me know if its still doing the same thing...
Posted on Sep 23, 2009
I devised these simple steps that tend to remedy quite a few issues with most USB portable / external hard drives and OTHER devices (though not always)
A few things to check but assumes USB and Windows for other interfaces / operating systems (mac/ Linux) similar steps may be adapted to suit.
1. Ensure it is connected directly to the computer to a USB 2.0 port not a USB 1.0 port as this can have effects on performance and reliability
2. Use only the cables that came with it NOT one that fits that may have been lying around or is longer. Not all USB cables are equal even though they should be)
3. Do not connect through an external USB HUB unless that hub is USB 2.0 AND has its own power supply.
4. Use ONLY the power supply that came with it if it has an external power supply Don’t use any other unless you know it has both the same voltage and current rating e.g. 12V 500mA anything rated below that would not work properly.
5. Always use the same port for connecting your devices. Some devices do not like being switched about. If switched they may want to install software / drivers again. This can be especially true if you move a HUB to another port
If you checked and fixed anything there and still have issues then check your hardware from CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM / HARDWARE.
Any exclamation marks by hardware need fixing before you investigate any further
USB flash drives can fail for no apparent reason.
Sandisk Cruzers are especially bad for this.
USB hard drives should be treated with extreme care.
This is a real hard drive ! and knocks and bumps can quite literally kill them.
It is possible to remove drives from the enclosures in most cases and connect directly inside a PC to fully check it.
Note that if you hear a drive clicking or pinging this could be the worst thing you would hear.
Known as "The Click Of Death"
If none of the above steps help look at updating the drivers from the manufacturers web site in the support section
Posted on Sep 23, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 17, 2010 | Husqvarna Designer I
Mar 17, 2010 | Averatec (70-822301-00TRI) (7082230100TRI)...
May 27, 2017 | Seagate Momentus 5400.3 Hard Drive
Sep 16, 2009 | HP Compaq Presario F500 F700 and G6000...
Aug 27, 2009 | Toshiba Satellite L300D-ST3501 Notebook
Jun 17, 2009 | Computers & Internet
Mar 29, 2009 | Acer Aspire 5315 Notebook
Jan 01, 2009 | IBM TravelStar 40GN 40 GB Hard Drive
Jun 19, 2008 | HP Pavilion dv6000z Notebook
Mar 10, 2008 | Maxtor Hard Drive
61 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: