Question about NetGear FVS318 Cable/DSL ProSafe VPN Firewall Router
I need help in installing a netgear fvs318 vpn router firewall between an actiontec dsl modem and a netgear wnr834b wireless router?
A. Determining the IP Address and MAC Address of a Computer:
Note: Please use the computer for which the Ports are to be opened:
For Windows 2000/XP users:
1. Please click on Start and select Run.
2. Type in cmd and click on OK.
3. In the Command Prompt, please type ipconfig/all then press Enter or Return key.
4. Please make sure that the Ethernet adapter has an IP Address that is the same range as the router (e.g. 192.168.1.2 for the computer and 192.168.1.1 for the router).
5. Please note down the IP address and Physical address.
B. Reserving an IP Address:
1. Please open any web browser like Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator.
2. Connect to the router by typing http://routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm or http://192.168.1.1 in the address field and click Enter or Return key.
3. A window will prompt for a user name and password. The default username is "admin" and the default password is "password".
Note: If it does not take password as the password, you might have changed it when you have run the NETGEAR Setup CD so please try other passwords. If you cannot remember the password, you need to reset the router and run the Setup CD to reconfigure it.
4. When the setup page opens, click on LAN IP Setup under Advanced tab.
5. Click on Add under Address Reservation.
6. Under Address Reservation window, please select the radio button of the computer you wish to add from the Address Reservation Table.
7. If the computer you want is not on the list, please click on the Refresh button to update the table.
8. If the computer is still not on the Address Reservation Table, please type in the IP Address, MAC Address (Physical Address), and Device Name of the computer you wish to add.
9. Click the Add button when done.
C. Opening Pre-Defined Ports for Internet Services:
1. Click on the option with the name Port Forwarding/Port Triggering under the Advanced menu.
2. Please select the service type Port Forwarding. The router pre-defined services are listed there.
3. From the Service Name pull down list, select the service that needs to be hosted.
4. Enter the IP address of the computer in the Server IP Address box.
5. Click the Add or Apply button.
6. Repeat all steps to open more ports.
Note: If the name of the Internet service does not appear in the drop down list, you may manually open the ports for that Internet service. Please follow the steps below:
D. Opening Ports for Games, Applications or Custom Ports:
1. Click on Add Custom Service button.
2. Type the service name in the Service Name box and the lower range numbers in the Starting Port box.
3. If the application uses only a single port; type in the same port number in the Ending Port box.
4. If the application uses a range of ports; type in the higher range numbers in the Ending Port box.
5. Type the IP address of the computer in the Server IP Address box. Click Apply button.
6. It will then refresh to the Port Forwarding page, and will show the list of all ports opened in tabulation.
7. Repeat all steps to add more ports for more services.
E. To Edit or Delete a Service Entry:
1. Click on the Radio Button that needs to be Edited /Deleted, under the Port Forwarding page.
2. Modify the information from the Service Name, Starting Port, Ending Port, and the Server IP Address, and then click the Apply button.
Posted on Sep 16, 2009
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
You could do it, but it's a bit of a pain in the ***** and probably not worth the hassle.
Actiontec DSL gateway was not designed to act as a "proper" router and therefore you won't be able to make it act like one permanently (well, unless there's a hacked firmware out there somewhere ;).
Of course, since it runs linux, you can telnet into it and manually set up the ip addresses on both wireless/wired interfaces and the necessary route between them. It will then work as a wireless access point for your comcast cable modem, but any changes will be lost every time you reboot the actiontec.
I've done it in the past with similar setup but quickly got tired of having to console the actiontec to add the ips and routes every time it crashed -and eventually got a proper wireless router.
So-it can be done, just not easily.
Posted on Nov 08, 2009
SOURCE: actiontec GT701WG ROUTER
If you cannot connect to the router through 192.168.0.1, do a harware reset - I think there is a button in bach and use the factory default user/password. Then just disable the wireless in setup, advanced, wirless settigs - click Wireless Off radio button. And change the password.
Posted on Apr 17, 2008
you may try this and see if this help solve your problem
Step 1: Shutdown the computer.
Step 2: Unplug the router’s power cable.
Step 3: Unplug the Broadband modem’s power cable and wait for 30 seconds.
Step 4: Plug in the Broadband modem’s power cable and wait for its lights to appear stable.
Step 5: Plug in the router's power cable once the modem’s lights appear stable.
Step 6: Power on the computer on and test the Internet connection.
if this still didnot work, maybe you need to upgrade the firmware of your router
Posted on May 01, 2008
SOURCE: where do i find UPnP
The netgear prosafe VPN router is a high-end component ment for business and corporate use and does not support UPnP
UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) allows programs accessing your router (limewire, utorrent, etc...) to auto configure the security settings on your router which would be harmful to a business/corp. network.
Posted on Aug 11, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 08, 2012 | NetGear FVS318 ProSafe VPN Firewall -...
Jan 09, 2011 | NetGear FVS318 Cable/DSL ProSafe VPN...
Aug 11, 2010 | NetGear FVS318 Cable/DSL ProSafe VPN...
Dec 14, 2008 | NetGear FVS318 Cable/DSL ProSafe VPN...
Jun 25, 2008 | NetGear FVS318 Cable/DSL ProSafe VPN...
Dec 11, 2007 | Actiontec (GT704WG) Router
Dec 19, 2018 | Power Computers & Internet
721 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!