Question about Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
Hello my name is mike kelley. i currently just bought a vista home premium computer with a flat screen hd monitor. i had bought F.E.A.R. for this computer and it does not seem to work. i get about 3 minutes into the game when it just stops working. ive heard that you need to download a patch for the game to play on a vista but i can't find it anywhere on the internet. i was wandering if you could help me understand this and possibly find a solution.
Merry Christmas, Mike.
I read that there is a patch, but like you i couldnt find it.
Here are some tips from Sierra,. I dont know if you had seen these or not.
Also you didnt say what video card you run.
If you are encountering errors, during your F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate installation process, please use the following methods in the order that they appear.
1. Make sure there are no smudges, scratches or other residue on the game DVD. If you see any smudges, try cleaning with damp soft lint free cloth (like an old T-shirt) from the inside edge to the outside edge in straight lines.
Note: Try the game installation on another pc system (if available), to determine if the disc is bad or damaged. If same issue occurs on another computer, you may need to replace the game disc.
For information regarding disk replacement, please go back to our main support page at: http://sierra.com/en/home/support/sierra_support.html
2. Try you game Installation from a secondary DVD or DVD-RW drive if available.
3. We advise you to have Administrator privileges to properly install and run games on your Windows OS.
If you have administrator rights, and wish to give a user administrator rights, you can do this in the Users option of your Windows Control Panel.
4. Temporarily disable programs from running at system start-up, which in some cases could prevent game installation.
Use the Selective Startup option in MSCONFIG.
Go to your Start then select Run(if you don't see Run, Hold down the Windows key, and then press the R key on your keyboard to invoke the Run dialog box) In the Open: box type: msconfig and then press the Enter key.
When the menu appears, click on the General tab, if it is not already at the front. Under Startup Selection, select Selective Startup, and uncheck the selection Load Startup Items.
Click on Apply and then Ok/Close, and restart the system to retry the installation.
5. Locate and delete a file IsProBE.tlb from Runtime folder located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional
You can find the file by going to your My Computer icon
-Open local drive C and then Program Files
-Go into InstallShield folder then open the folder Professional and delete IsProBE.tlb then re-run the installation again
6. Check you system's manufacturer web site and see if they have any firmware driver updates for you DVD or DVD-RW drives.
7. Ensure that you have cleaned out your temporary directories. To do this, double click on My Computer, with the Right Mouse Button click on the appropriate hard drive and click on Properties with the Left Mouse Button. Click on the Disk Cleanup button ensure temporary files are checked and proceed to clean up these files.
8. Try ‘copy the contents’ method below.
Copy all DVD contents of the game into a folder on your hard drive and run the installation from that location (If you receive an overwrite prompt select Yes to all).
Note that you will need about 8 GB plus free space on the hard drive to apply this option.
See below for instructions.
-Quit all programs that are running.
-Right-click in empty are on the desktop then point to New, and then click Folder.
-Name the folder, and then press ENTER.
-Double-click on the folder that you just created.
-From the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
-Click the View tab. Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.
-Insert game DVD into your drive. Hold down the SHIFT key on your keyboard to prevent the program from starting automatically.
-Open My Computer, then right Click on game icon and left click on Open.
-Go to Edit menu at the top and click on Select All.
-Now, go to Edit again and click on Copy.
-Next step is to open the folder you created on the desktop, go to Edit menu, and then click Paste.
-This will copy the contents of the disc into the folder.
Please be patent since this may take some time. After all game contents been copied into the folder, double-click Setup.exe and then follow the on-screen instructions to install your game.
9. Ensure that your hard drive is not fragmented. To defrag your hard drive, click on START, go to PROGRAMS, go to ACCESSORIES, go to SYSTEM TOOLS, and select DISK DEFRAGMENTER, select the appropriate drive and click DEFRAGMENT. Please be aware that this process, depending on the size of the drive, may take up to and over an hour to complete.
Here are the requirements for F.E.A.R.
MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIRED
• Windows(R) XP, x64 or 2000 with latest service pack installed or Windows Vista(TM)
• DirectX(R) 9.0c (December 2006 Edition – included) or higher
• Pentium(R) 4, 1.7 GHz or equivalent processor (2.2 GHz for Windows Vista(TM))
• 512 MB of RAM or more (1 GB for Windows Vista(TM))
• 64 MB GeForce(R) 4 Ti or Radeon(R) 9000 video card (GeForce(R) 6600 or Radeon(R) 9800 video card or equivalent for Windows Vista(TM))
• 8 GB free Hard Drive Space for installation
• Additional hard drive space needed for a swap file and saved game files
• DVD-ROM drive
• 16-bit DirectX(R) 9.0-compliant sound card with support for EAX(TM) 2.0
• Broadband or LAN Connection for Multiplayer games
SUPPORTED VIDEO CARD CHIPSETS WITH LATEST DRIVER VERSION INFO:
Radeon(R) 9000* Series
Radeon(R) 9500* Series
Radeon(R) 9600* Series
Radeon(R) 9700* Series
Radeon(R) 9800 Series
Radeon(R) X600 Series
Radeon(R) X700 Series
Radeon(R) X800 Series
Radeon(R) X850 Series
Radeon(R) X1300 Series
Radeon(R) X1600 Series
Radeon(R) X1800 Series
Radeon(R) X1900 Series
Radeon(R) X1950 Series
Radeon(R) 2600 Series
Radeon(R) 2900** Series
* Not supported while using Windows Vista(TM).
Also, the Radeon® 9000 is not supported if using an AMD® processor.
** Not supported while using Windows(R) 2000.
Catalyst(TM) Drivers 6.2 (Windows(R) 2000)
Catalyst(TM) Drivers 6.11 (Windows(R) XP) or 6.2 (Windows(R) 2000) – ATI Radeon 9250 Series and below
Catalyst(TM) Drivers 7.8 (Windows(R) XP and Windows Vista(TM)) – ATI Radeon 9500 Series and above
GeForce(R) 4 Ti Series
GeForce(R) FX 5900* Series
GeForce(R) 6600 Series
GeForce(R) 6800 Series
GeForce(R) 7800 Series
GeForce(R) 7900 Series
GeForce(R) 8400 Series
GeForce(R) 8500 Series
GeForce(R) 8600 Series
GeForce(R) 8800 Series
*Not supported while using Windows Vista(TM)
ForceWare(TM) Drivers 93.71 (Windows(R) 2000/XP) – NVIDIA GeForce 4 Ti Series (not supported on Windows Vista(TM))
ForceWare(TM) Drivers 96.85 (Windows Vista(TM)) or 162.18 (Windows(R) 2000/XP) – NVIDIA FX Series
ForceWare(TM) Drivers 162.18 (Windows(R) 2000/XP) or 162.22 (Windows Vista(TM)) – NVIDIA GeForce 6600 Series and above
NVIDIA Vista: 163.69
NVIDIA XP: 163.71
ATI: Catalyst 7.9
Please note that attempting to play the game using video hardware that is
not listed here may result in reduced performance, graphical anomalies,
Please let me know if these work for you,
Posted on Dec 15, 2007
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 12, 2009 | Webroot Spy Sweeper (spysweeper) for PC
Jun 11, 2009 | Acer AL1716 F Monitor
Mar 28, 2009 | ViewSonic VX2035WM LCD Monitor
Mar 25, 2009 | Toshiba Satellite L305-S5894 Notebook
Jan 09, 2009 | Acer TravelMate 5520 Notebook
Apr 07, 2008 | Computers & Internet
244 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: