Question about Computers & Internet
My Gateway laptop is having the following symptoms:
1) BIOS "welcom" screen: Vertical dotted/dashed lines ONLY found in the left side of the screen.
2) Before windows boots: Random characters everywhere glitching and warping characters.
3) Windows XP welcome screen: Dotted vertical lines distributed everywhere.
4) Windows Desktop: Some icons (escpecially white ones) look corrupted; Dotted vertical lines everywhere. Right click menu window leaves a "ghostly shadow" of more distinguished dotted vertical lines.
5) At times there will be a static signal flicker: Dots changes color or randomly disappears. This static happens if there is no physical movements or if it is just idling.
6) Sometimes it fixes itself but it still leaves a matrix of dots. Pressing F5 (Refresh) or resizing windows or taskbar cleans the matrix.
7) Physically smacking the laptop sometimes reproduces symptoms 5 and 6, eg. smacking it fixes the vertical lines.
8) If the laptop is displaying normaly (ie, no dotted lines), opening 3d games or application often reproduces symptoms 4-7, and either disappears at reboot or reproduces all the symptoms.
This problem has happened 3 times already. Laptop has been service by the warranty and they say they replaced the MoBo. I could conclude that this symptoms can be a defective mobo memory or a loose connection. I want to know how to locate such problem in the laptop so i could fix this myself after my warranty expires.
Sounds like a problem with the LCD assembly or cable. You may want to reseat the LCD cable at the LCD end. It could be a loose internal connector in the LCD assembly.
Posted on Feb 01, 2008
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 27, 2011 | Xerox XA3-15B (Black) 15" Monitor
Dec 01, 2010 | Televison & Video
Jun 11, 2010 | Gateway GT5220 PC Desktop
Apr 27, 2009 | Mitsubishi WD-52525 52" Rear Projection...
Apr 18, 2008 | Epson Stylus Pro 9800 InkJet Printer
Oct 27, 2007 | Toshiba Tecra M1 PC Laptops
Jan 21, 2007 | Mitsubishi CS-35405 TV
1,394 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!