Question about Computers & Internet
My Gateway laptop is having the following symptoms:
1) BIOS "welcom" screen: Vertical dotted/dashed lines ONLY found in the left side of the screen.
2) Before windows boots: Random characters everywhere glitching and warping characters.
3) Windows XP welcome screen: Dotted vertical lines distributed everywhere.
4) Windows Desktop: Some icons (escpecially white ones) look corrupted; Dotted vertical lines everywhere. Right click menu window leaves a "ghostly shadow" of more distinguished dotted vertical lines.
5) At times there will be a static signal flicker: Dots changes color or randomly disappears. This static happens if there is no physical movements or if it is just idling.
6) Sometimes it fixes itself but it still leaves a matrix of dots. Pressing F5 (Refresh) or resizing windows or taskbar cleans the matrix.
7) Physically smacking the laptop sometimes reproduces symptoms 5 and 6, eg. smacking it fixes the vertical lines.
8) If the laptop is displaying normaly (ie, no dotted lines), opening 3d games or application often reproduces symptoms 4-7, and either disappears at reboot or reproduces all the symptoms.
This problem has happened 3 times already. Laptop has been service by the warranty and they say they replaced the MoBo. I could conclude that this symptoms can be a defective mobo memory or a loose connection. I want to know how to locate such problem in the laptop so i could fix this myself after my warranty expires.
Sounds like a problem with the LCD assembly or cable. You may want to reseat the LCD cable at the LCD end. It could be a loose internal connector in the LCD assembly.
Posted on Feb 01, 2008
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 17, 2012 | Sony VAIO VPCyB13KXS AMD DualCore...
Feb 19, 2011 | Toshiba Computers & Internet
Apr 05, 2009 | Fujitsu Siemens Computers & Internet
Oct 12, 2008 | XFX GeForce 6200 Graphic Card
Sep 07, 2008 | HP Pavilion dv6000z Notebook
Apr 18, 2008 | Epson Stylus Pro 9800 InkJet Printer
Oct 27, 2007 | Toshiba Tecra M1 PC Laptops
1,394 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!