Compaq presario 900 lcd not working, shows faint image
The lcd is not working, and i can see the images on the screen faintly very faintly. the vga output to external screen works and i have a replacement LCD which also shows nothing but a faint image. what is the solution?
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert that has over 500 points.
An expert who has answered 200 questions.
Re: Compaq presario 900 lcd not working, shows faint...
Out put connection from the video card to the LCD monitor is loose or malfunctioning. check the connection that leaves the video card to the monitor, ensure its secure and clean, if still not working then its either the video card or the cable connecting to the LCD.
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones). click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Good luck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
If the screen went black and you can still see faint images of what your computer is currently showing, the typical issue would be a burnt out backlight. For the repair cost, I'd say just invest in a new monitor.
Just to cover the bases, make sure your brightness and contrast settings on the LCD are not set to zero.
Look at the LCD screen very closely and check if you can see a faint image on the screen. It's possible that the LCD lid close switch stuck in the "closed" position and the back-light stays off even when you open the LCD screen or turn on the laptop. The switch turns off the back-light when you close the LCD display to save the laptop battery power.
If no luck, try to remove battery and drain the power, then replace battery and turn on.
If that didn't fix it then there are 3 things that could have gone wrong:
1. Video cable connection from inverter to LCD got loose. To check this, follow instructions from step 3 on how to open the LCD and check if cable is fitted properly.
2. The video inverter is faulty The screen inverter failure is very similar to the back-light lamp failure. In both cases the screen gets very dark and the image on the screen becomes very faint, barely visible under a bright light. If it's still under warranty, take it for a replacement. You can replace this otherwise - you can find the inverter under the screen, follow the procedure described at point 3 to open up the screen.
3. The LCD monitor is faulty If it works on an external monitor most likely the LCD is faulty and needs replacement. If it's still under warranty, take it for a replacement. If not, you can do it yourself, it's pretty easy. Remove the rubber covers on the side of the screen, unscrew the screws take the plastic cover off, disconnect the video inverter and put in the new LCD after you connect the video inverter to it.
use a flahlight see if you can see an image faintly in the screen, if so the backlight is failing. if not, check your VGA or DVI cable connection on both ends. sometimes there is more than one port on the back of the computer, try the other port if you have two of them,
It could be either, if you can get another LCD screen (same make/model) you can swap to ckeck it out.
You could check the inverter by touching its output and if you get a bit of an electrical shock then you know the inverter is working or check it with a multimeter if you don't like electric shocks.
Larnold..Sounding like you need to check the LCD Power Inverter Circuit board.. this is located inside the screen a long rectangular circuit board that sends power to the screen backlight & Display Panel.. Could also be a Bad Backlight.. Try Booting it.. Hold it up to a light and look closely at the screen.. If you see a faint image but no light, it is the Backlight, if Just Black No Activity then its most likely the Power Inverter, OR a Bad Video Card.. You can test the VIDEO by Connecting the laptop to a Computer Monitor or similar with the laptops VGA Serial port.. then Use your function Key and Switch to 2nd Display.....(one of your F keys.. ).. If it Shows up on another screen, Its a Display problem and not the video card... Hope This Helps alittle.. Cheers
If you power it on, take a flashlight and shine it on the lcd at and angle and look real close to see if you can see a faint image. If you can, then your backlight in the screen is not working.
Also, you can attatch an external monitor to it, while its off, then power it on and see if it lights the external monitor. Try that and let me know your results.
If you get a picture ok on the external, and you can see a faint image on the lcd using a flashlight, then it could be the backlight inverter board or the bulb itself inside the lcd went out.
If you don't get any picture at all, using an external monitor and can't see a faint image on the lcd using a flashlight, then I would say there's other problems with the laptop itself. Could be a mainboard problem, power issue, etc..