Question about Microwave Ovens
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: Neff combi blown diode.
If the diode failed by opening, there may be no other damage. If the dioded failed by shorting, the alternating current may have damaged other components. Ohm it out. You can get diodes from digikey.com, mouser.com, or radio shack or any electronics or appliance supply. If the diode is charred and you can't get the part number, the oven rating can be used to select a replacement. Since the fuse was 10 amps, the diode should also handle at least 10 amps. If you can power the unit and read the voltage at the diode input this will give you the power (volts times amps). It's always worth trying as it's cheaper than replacing the unit.
Posted on Nov 30, 2007
SOURCE: How to test a diode
To test a diode, first remove it, then use a test meter with a diode check facility. Test component first one way around, then the other. It should give a 1 in one position, and 0 in the other if all is ok.
This is the correct way to test a diode.
Posted on Jan 03, 2009
Sounds like the magnetron has failed. This is the component that produces the microwaves that heats the food.
The cost of the magnetron is about 95% of the cost of a microwave oven. Most people don't, for this reason, replace the magnetron, they replace the whole oven which is probably what you will end up doing.
There is a possibility that the circuit that provides power to the magnetron is faulty and you need to take it apart, find the proper electrical leads and test them with a volt meter. To do this you have to remove it from its mounting and take it apart. It is a fairly lengthy process however.
Posted on Apr 26, 2009
A failed diode isn't the most common failure, but it happens. And sometimes it's due to bad magnetron or a bad connection.
If the capacitor fails, it almost always shorts, which results in a blown fuse whenever you hit "Start" to run the microwave.
The magnetron on this model should have a 5-year warranty, in case that's relevant. Your owner's manual is here.
We have the service / repair manual for this model and have uploaded it to our site here to help you.
It will give you safety info, step by step help in disassembly, troubleshooting tips, and part numbers.
Here are some links you or someone you know can use for test help, but read their safety warnings first:
(if it's not shorted or burned, it's probably okay)
There should also be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.
At our Web site, we have a video available showing how to remove a typical over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.
You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts here.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Jun 30, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 14, 2015 | Kenmore Microwave Ovens
on Mar 27, 2010 | KitchenAid KHMS155LSS 1000 Watts Microwave...
Feb 27, 2015 | GE Microwave Ovens
Sep 20, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
Jun 09, 2011 | Amana RFS12MPS Microwave Oven
Jan 28, 2010 | Amana HDC12 Microwave Oven
Mar 08, 2009 | GE JVM1630 Microwave Oven
Mar 23, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
21 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!