Question about LG Microwave Ovens
If it is working but not heating, then test the high voltage
capacitor,the rectifier diode.or the magnetron. If all this are fine,
test the control board.If turntable is not running check also the door
The diodeand capacitors can be tested. The capacitor must be allowed discharge before testing, or you risk to get electrocuted, evenif power is off.Capacitors can get discharged by shorting their two contacts.
Before replacing the magnetron test also the control board.
Replace the magnetron if the checks and all of the high voltage component tests are good, but the unit still does not heat.
All locations, and description of this parts can be located using the diagram here: Counter top.
Parts must be tested to find out what is wrong.
Remember that microwaves are potentially dangerous devices if not repaired properly, the job must be done by a competent person.
A microwave energy leakage test must always be performed when the oven is serviced for any reason.
Regarding parts, contact the seller here to purchase parts.
You can also order from MicrowaveSvc , they also provide parts.
Posted on Sep 11, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: GH7145XFB-1 not heating properly
Generally, the most common causes of a failure to heat are:
- bad door switches or door switch mounts
- loose connection at the magnetron
- problem or loose conneciton on the control unit circuit board
- bad magnetron or other high voltage part
If you or a friend decide to look into it, we have critical safety information, info on door switch diagnosis and replacement, and disassembly information at our site, linked here on Fixya: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
Posted on Nov 17, 2007
If you look at consumer affairs.com, there are many problems like this with GE microwaves. Not a good track record, experiencing problems with mine as well.
Posted on Apr 15, 2008
More than likely the magnetron has failed. This could be for a number of reason. Do you use your microwave to heat wheat packs or warm plates? If so, you may have dried the magnetron out (they use the moisture in whatever you're cooking to heat it, and plates/wheat bags have no moisture).
I'd say a trip to your local Microwave repairer could be in order. It could also be the High Voltage Fuse which has failed. Either way a repairer will be able to tell you!
Posted on Mar 25, 2009
SOURCE: microwave won't heat
Sorry my Clarification Request came out as a single blob of a paragraph.
That's not how I typed it. I never write that way!
So I've pasted it here, but as a solution.
Magnetrons generally should last about 2000 hours, but several factors can shorten that.
If it's not OVER ten years old (from the purchase date or the date on the tag inside the unit) then the magnetron is still under warranty.
From the owner's manual:
"For the second through the tenth year from the date of original purchase
"The magnetron tube, if the magnetron tube fails due to a defect in materials or workmanship. During this nine-year limited warranty, you will be responsible for any labor or in-home service costs.
"For the above limited warranty: To avoid any trip charges, you must take the microwave oven to a
General Electric Customer Care® servicer and pick it up following service. In-home service is also
available, but you must pay for the service technician’s travel costs to your home."
GE Customer Service is here, and you can verify the warranty status and find your nearest authorized servicer.
If you're sure the magnetron's bad, it's still under warranty, and you or a friend are handy, they will send you the magnetron to do it yourself. Call them at 888-239-6832.
Be persistent. You may have to speak with a supervisor.
It does sound like the magnetron overheated and the magnetron's thermostat opened until it cooled down.
An overheating magnetron can be due to:
When you hit Start to microwave, do the inside light, cooling fan, and turntable all come on?
Any unusual noises? Is it louder or quieter than usual?
We have a sound clip of what a microwave should sound like when the cooling fan and high voltage section are operating here.
You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts if needed by entering your full model number from the tag on the oven here.
Let us know what you find out or decide.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Jul 07, 2009
SOURCE: microwave just stopped cooking!
there could be two problems with your microwave. your diode could be bad or your magnetron is no good. Its definitely one of the 2. most likely the magnetron. if the microwave is more than 5 years old, and it is the magnetron i would suggest that you replace the microwave. if you would like instructions on how to change the magnetron or diode let me know and i'll walk you thru it. although i do recommend u let a professional take a look at it.
Posted on Feb 03, 2011
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 06, 2012 | Microwave Ovens
Oct 16, 2012 | Sharp R-1510 Microwave Oven
Oct 05, 2011 | Sanyo Microwave Ovens
Oct 04, 2011 | Sanyo Microwave Microwave Oven
Apr 22, 2011 | Whirlpool Microwave Ovens
Oct 18, 2010 | GE Microwave Ovens
Jun 29, 2010 | GE Countertop Microwave Oven
Jul 17, 2008 | Whirlpool GH6177XP Microwave Oven
135 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!