Question about Western Digital My Book Home Edition 500 GB USB Hard Drive
I fixed that problem with a WDC My Book Home 1TB in Windows 7: (and also in vista as i have a dual boot)
The drive was recognized in computer management and in device manager but no drive letter was allocated while connected with a e-sata cable.
1.in computer management > storage > disk management
2.rightclick drive 1 or wathever the number of the WDC drive (which should be basic at this time)
3.select 'convert to dynamic disk'
4.drive should get a drive letter
5.format (warning: all data get lost, but you can download original software from wdc.com)
Posted on Dec 08, 2009
Change the usb cable, if the same change the board...
Posted on Sep 10, 2009
Things to check:
1. check that the unit is powered up and you get a light.
2. test that the usb cable is good with another cable.
3. look at the mouse cursor on the screen and watch it while you plug the my book into the computer if the mouse does not show a brief busy(hourglass) then the usb interface on the my book is bad.
on a personal note:
I have one on my desk with the same problem. Best that i can figure out is that the usb to sata interface went bad in the unit. The actual disk drive was still functional (if in need of a good scan disking) My solution was to pry the hard disk drive out of the extensive plastic armor(that took a while) and hook it up to another generic usb to sata interface. then it worked fine if a bit clunky looking but at least I had my data back.
Posted on Sep 10, 2009
Normally drivers are not needed for external drives like this as windows identifies it quite well.
I devised these simple steps that tend to remedy quite a few issues with most USB portable / external hard drives and devices (though not always)
A few things to check but assumes USB and Windows for other interfaces / operating systems (mac/ Linux) similar steps may be adapted to suit.
1. Ensure it is connected directly to the computer to a USB 2.0 port not a USB 1.0 port as this can have effects on performance and reliability
2. Use only the cables that came with it NOT one that fits that may have been lying around or is longer. Not all USB cables are equal even though they should be)
3. Do not connect through an external USB HUB unless that hub is USB 2.0 AND has its own power supply.
4. Use ONLY the power supply that came with it if it has an external power supply Don’t use any other unless you know it has both the same voltage and current rating e.g. 12V 500mA anything rated below that would not work properly.
5. Always use the same port for connecting your devices. Some devices do not like being switched about. If switched they may want to install software / drivers again. This can be especially true if you move a HUB to another port
If you checked and fixed anything there and still have issues then check your hardware from CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM / HARDWARE.
Any exclamation marks by hardware need fixing before you investigate any further
USB flash drives can fail for no apparent reason.
Sandisk Cruzers are especially bad for this.
USB hard drives should be treated with extreme care.
This is a real hard drive ! and knocks and bumps can quite literally kill them.
It is possible to remove drives from the enclosures in most cases and connect directly inside a PC to fully check it.
Note that if you hear a drive clicking or pinging this could be the worst thing you would hear.
Known as "The Click Of Death"
Posted on Sep 10, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 13, 2010 | Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB...
May 30, 2010 | Western Digital My Book Essential Edition...
Jan 22, 2010 | Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB...
Jan 06, 2010 | Western Digital MY BOOK HOME 1TB EXT...
Sep 17, 2009 | Western Digital MY BOOK HOME 1TB EXT...
Jul 12, 2009 | Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB...
Jan 23, 2009 | Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB...
Jan 04, 2009 | Western Digital My Book World Edition 1TB...
427 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: