Question about Televison & Video
Many problems can be cured by simply resetting the set-top box. This applies to terrestrial, satellite, cable and broadband boxes, and also to digital TV sets (which have Freeview built in).
Typical problems include:
* the picture breaking up, freezing or becoming pixelated
* picture and sound being out of synchronisation
* missing channels*
* interactive (red button) services not working
* subtitles missing or not appearing correctly
* If a channel is moved or a new channel goes on air, it will usually be added to your channel list automatically if you have a satellite, cable or broadband set-top box. If you have a terrestrial (Freeview) set-top box or digital TV, you may need to do a quick rescan of all the channels. Usually you do this by using the remote control to go to the set-up menu - see the instructions below.
How to Reboot
The digital set-top box has a micro-processor and software, like a computer, and it can suffer from occasional glitches. To reboot (restart) the software:
* Unplug the box from the mains power supply for about 10 minutes, then plug it in again. Check to see if the problem has been cured.
* If you have a viewing card (e.g. for Top Up TV), unplug the box, then take the card out of the slot and wipe it gently with a clean, dry, non-abrasive cloth. Put it back in the slot (be careful to insert it the right way round) and plug the box in again.
If channels or features are missing from your terrestrial set-top box or digital TV, try rescanning all the channels. Satellite, cable and broadband boxes will usually do this automatically.
Rescanning will clear the box or digital TV's 'memory' and find all the channels again. It may not work for all equipment, but it will not do any damage.
If necessary, check your manual for how to scan or search for channels. Usually, you need to press Menu on your remote control, then go to Installation or Setup. If there is a choice of automatic or manual search, choose automatic. The scan will take a few minutes.
NB: Different equipment and manuals may refer to Rescan, Retune, Update, Replace Channels, Search for Channels, Store Channels, etc.
First try a quick rescan. This will not affect settings such as your Favourites list.
* With the box and TV switched on, press Menu on your remote control and follow the steps to scan/search for channels or add new channels. The box will scan for all available channels and should find any new or missing channels or features.
If a quick rescan doesn't work, carry out a full rescan. This will reset your box or digital TV back to the factory settings, so afterwards you will need to redo your Favourites list and any other personal settings.
1. Switch off the box or digital TV.
2. Remove the aerial from the back and leave it unplugged.
3. Switch on the box and the TV set it is connected to, or the digital TV.
4. Set the box or digital TV to do an automatic scan/search for channels.
5. When the scan is complete, the TV screen should have a message saying no channels have been found. (This is because the aerial is not plugged in.)
6. Switch off the box or digital TV and plug in the aerial. Switch back on.
7. Set the box or digital TV to do an automatic scan/search for channels again. This should find all the channels available
If you are confident about setting up your DTT set-top box or digital TV, you can manually retune it to the correct channels. See your instruction manual for details, or contact the manufacturer. To find the channels and transmitter for your area, use the Digital UK postcode checker and, on the results page, click on Trade view (alongside the Postcode checker results heading).
Posted on Sep 10, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 10, 2015 | Televison & Video
Dec 18, 2014 | Samsung Televison & Video
Nov 05, 2009 | Televison & Video
Oct 05, 2009 | Televison & Video
Sep 01, 2009 | Televison & Video
Apr 19, 2008 | Televison & Video
57 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!