USB / hardware problems, caused by MS updates!
I typed quite a long response for you yesterday. Unfortunately, in my haste over another situation, I clicked off the page before it was posted. This will probably save you some time reading, anyway, as I will try to condense the same information I wrote yesterday. If you need additional detail in regard to the processes enumerated below, or how to accomplish same, please advise.
First, yes, SP3 has known and acknowledged issues, and many users have uninstalled the service pack until the bugs are worked out. Presuming the uninstall files have not been removed from your system, you should also be able to remove SP3. Uninstall the program by using Add/Remove Programs (Control Panel) - you should see SP3 listed toward the bottom of the program list.
Two other matters go hand in hand with this. In addition to the SP3 file itself, there have likely been numerous other updates which were reliant on SP3 for functionality. If you utilize the system restore function, and if there is still a restore point available prior to SP3 install, you should be able to completely revert your system. Otherwise, it will be a matter of isolating the updates that need to be removed (due to removal of SP3).
Secondly, I have voluminous experience with both service packs and automatic updates creating tremendous problems with my system. I spent months working with the "top level" MS R&D team in order to try to solve issues created by SP2 - MS finally closed the case with a status of unresolved. Further, my issues with Automatic Updates (A/U) started about 1.5 years ago, when MS changed the process and it consistently resulted in consumption of 100% of system resources, locking up the system continuously for extended periods of time. After MS put out a fix for this, I installed, and again enabled A/U. (However, please note that I always had A/U set to download and let me decide when to install. This too was due to prior negative experience of great magnitude.) Needless to say, the same issues occurred again within a matter of months, although every single "fix" of previous "fixes" MS put out for this matter was installed as it was issued.
To this day, I have not again enabled (and do not intend to) the A/U process. Rather, I visit the Updates site periodically and download appropriate updates, with my complete control and interim verification of the entire process. Therefore, though it is an extremely personal decision, my choice is to disable Automatic Updates. There are many, I am sure, who would suggest this should not be the approach; however, with the full months worth of time that have been eaten up because of the A/U process, I find it much more useful and helpful to control updates myself.
If this information assists you in resolving the problem, please take a moment to rate the solution at a "FixYa" level. If you do not feel that you can rate at a "FixYa", please post back with more information regarding what has occurred subsequently and/or more details regarding the situation, and I will gladly help you until we have reached a definitive solution. Thank you for using and rating FixYa!
Jun 05, 2008 |
HP Pavilion a1410n (ER890AA) PC Desktop