The last time my whirlpool dishwasher ran (yesterday), there was a strong burning smell at the end of the cycle. It smelled like burning rubber, or electrical. We tried to run another load today and the dishwasher will not run. There does not appear to be power to the dishwasher - the control panel lights aren't working either. Is there a reset wwitch somewhere? Is the motor burned out? Is it worthwile to have it repaired (it's about 5 years old) or replaced?
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: dishwasher not working
The motor may be burned out or there may be another electrical issue which would also cause the symptoms you describe. Call around and try to get an estimate, and at the same time look at new ones on sale.............one question is how secure will u feel with that maching......now that it has acted up like this.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Ok, bare with me...
Is there any visible SMOKE with the smell? If so turn it off and call a repairman.
Verify that the clothes drum is turning freely. If it is not, call a repairman.
I recommend removing all clothing from your dryer and to carefully follow these instructions.
With the machine off, Clean the dryer filter well. Set dryer to the MAXIMUM heat setting on a 30 min TIMED cycle.
Start the cycle.
Make close observations in short intervals of time.
At the end of your timed cycle determine if the smell has changed more or less.
With the dryer off, Locate the electrical socket/plug of the device if it is an electric machine. place your hand on it to determine it's temperature. It should be no more than Luke-warm to touch.
If it is uncomfortably warm to touch you should consider contacting an electrician to determine the working load of the wiring to the device.
If the wiring/plug test is deemed adequately cool, ventilate the dyer area well for an hour and repeat steps 3-7, the hot - empty test again. The smell should diminish.
Lint and other clothes debris can get pulled into contact with the dryer's heating element and it will burn or smolder. If a piece of elastic rubber gets into contact with the heating element, the smell will be strong and may last a long time.
If it is still bothersome after the burn-out procedure, it will have to be taken apart and at least cleaned or the element replaced. This is not usually covered by warranty as it is considered a USER PROBLEM. Sorry.
Normally, the last part of any cycle involves using the heater element inside, and at the bottom of, the dishwasher to give dishes a final hot rinse. Possibly some small plastic-type material has become melted and stuck to the element - which will remain hot even after all water is discharged. Hence the smell.
Had the exact same problem (Control panel burning up, sparking, and smoking during wash cycle) last night with our Kenmore Elite DW model 665.16293400 purchased Nov. 2004. I have reported it to the CPSC and www.kitchenaidfire.com and will be contacting Sears first thing tomorrow. It is outrageous that this problem is apparently so widespread with nothing being done about it! I have no doubt my kitchen would have been in flames if I had not been sitting right here to shut off power to the D/W.
Sounds to me like the motherboard inside the unit is on it's way to thermal overload. This is a common problem with this particular model. You'll smell electronics burning and one day it'll quit altogether with a burst of smoke. I had this happen to me and I traced the problem back to a faulty triac (transistor-like device) that overheated and caused the circuit board and wiring harness to burn up from excessive current draw. I repaired my motherboard with a new triac ($6) and rewired the harnesses. A cooling fan on the heatsink of the board would solve this problem.