Question about Microwave Ovens
Unplug the unit and remove the case cover. Look for a blown fuse. If ok, check that the door interlock switch(es) are clicking when the door is latched. Any 'micro-switch' that doesn't click is likely faulty and needs to be replaced. If you find a blown fuse, the magnetron circuit has two components that commonly cause the blown fuse. The first is the high-voltage diode in the power supply could be shorted, the second is a shorted 'stirrer' (a fan-like device located under the metal wave-guide where the energy comes into the cooking cavity) plastic bearing that has arced over inside it and that shorts out the microwave energy which blows the fuse. Replace the stirrer as a unit.
Posted on Sep 07, 2009
Sounds like the fuse is blown, you will have take the outer case off to find the fuse and replace it
Posted on Sep 07, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: microwave / Frigidare PLMV
What size breaker is protecting the circuit? Per the National Electrical Code, a microwave and a washing machine should each have their own dedicated circuit (and own breaker) rated at 20 amps. Also, if the breaker is old and has tripped many times due to continuous overloading, it may be weakened and could be tripping at a lower amperage than what it is rated. I would try the following:
1. If possible, test the microwave on another circuit and see if it trips that breaker. If possible, use a 20 amp circuit for the test.
2. If you're comfortable with working in an electrical panel safely, place a clamp on ammeter on the hot wire of the affected circuit in the panel and see how much current is being drawn when the microwave is on.
3. If you would rather stay out of the panel, get an inline ammeter/watt meter and plug the microwave into this. If the rating of the microwave is less than 15 amps (1800 watts), you may be able to use a device called a kill-a-watt at a local hardware store. This will show how much power is actually being used by a given appliance.
Posted on May 28, 2009
NO internal fuse. It is most likely, the magnetron, and or High power diode. As related In all likelihood the mangnetron has failed, or perhaps even the Power Supply. or a fault that is shutting the system down for safety reasons You need to have it serviced by a reputable service centre/man. Ensure you get a firm "Quote" before proceeding, and remember these days the cost of repair can equal or exceed the price of a new one.
Posted on May 10, 2010
Chances are you have a shorted "monitor" interlock switch, or its mount is broken.
See this door switch help file.
You can find links to helpful exploded view diagrams and part ordering help here.
To give you more specific help, we would need the brand name and
full model number of your microwave.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Sep 06, 2012
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 23, 2015 | Microwave Ovens
Apr 14, 2014 | LG LMV1813ST Microwave Oven
Nov 03, 2013 | Panasonic NN-H965 Microwave Oven
Apr 01, 2012 | Whirlpool Microwave Ovens
Mar 29, 2012 | LG Microwave Ovens
Dec 04, 2010 | GE JVM1631 Microwave Oven
Jun 19, 2010 | GE JVM1441 Microwave Oven
May 18, 2009 | Microwave Ovens
Nov 04, 2008 | GE JVM1651 Microwave Oven
Sep 25, 2017 | Whirlpool Microwave Ovens
364 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!