Question about GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Our microwave oven has only been in use for about 1 1/2 years and recently broke down. One day my wife was cleaning in the kitchen area when she heard a loud popping sound generating from inside the microwave. The unit was not in use at the time of this incident. I quickly ran to the kitchen and unplug the unit. Trying to investigate, I've removed the vent cover beneath, right away I've found pieces of glass from the light bulb scattered on the vent dropdown cover. Apparently, one of the light bulbs exploded inside the socket.
After removing the remainder of the bulb from the light socket with plyers, the socket appears to be fine. With a multimeter, I measured the socket voltage to be ~14V. So, I went ahead and recycle power to the unit. The control board powered up but went haywire, nothing seemed to be working except for setting up the clock. I've pressed the fan button and vent fan came on but will not shutoff. The unit does not respond when commanded to heat after entering cooking time.
This is the weirdest thing I've experienced with a supposively superior microwave from GE. Any clues as to what might have happened? I can't imagine that a surge would do this to internal circuitry of a microwave. You would think the unit has a primary fuse that will protect all senstive electronics, to say the least blowing up a light bulb. Hum.... I am at a loss, please help!
Sounds like the ERC board failed. It maybe covered under warranty, check that first cause a new ERC could cost around $150-$200. Anything electric can cause the .."what the*^&% just happened syndrome.
Posted on Dec 09, 2007
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 16, 2013 | General Electric Microwave Oven
If there is no heating please do not switch on unless you have confirmed the fault. It is possible that the Magnetron is faulty, the temperature cut off is faulty or the main capacitor is short. It is also quite possible that insect can get into the oven and create soft spots. When you switch on these will create a short and make the voltage jump and in the long run damage the magnetron.
So Remove cover after disconnecting , check for dirt/moisture in the cabin, if so wipe clean and dry, check the magnetron and area clean and use an jet air to clean off.
Make sure that the program controller is working if not check power - step down supply, the pads are responding- if not faulty pads- or the door switches, if contact is not through the microwave will not work.
Now keeping clear of the microwave, switch on, use a cup of water inside to test.
If you notice any sparks shut off as the magnetron or the main HT capacitor can be faulty. replace with same type.
If there is heating without any issues, you can use the microwave safely
Jun 14, 2011 | Baumatic Microwave Ovens
Jun 13, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Apr 07, 2011 | Sharp R305KS Microwave Oven
Mar 14, 2011 | GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven
Mar 14, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Aug 27, 2010 | Samsung Microwave Ovens
Mar 06, 2017 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
May 02, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Jan 12, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
508 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: