Question about Western Digital My Book Essential Edition (WDG1U5000N) 500 GB Hard Drive
My Mybook fell off a table and after much cursing, I plugged it back in and it worked fine. I had to reboot my laptop and now it doesnt recognize it as it was ever there, i.e, the computer sees it, just as a generic volume and I am unable to access it. I have many thousands of important work related data on there and am now unable to access it. Please help
You may want to disconnect it and open it up to check that all the internal connections are fine.
It may also be possible for you to hook it up directly to a computer internally with the correct interface eg SATA or IDE.
If you cannot read the disk directly then there is a very good chance it is damaged beyond repair.
Only very expensive data recovery outfits have the special clean rooms and facilities to recover data properly.
Just in case it may be somthing les extreme I have also included a few other steps that may help.
I devised these simple steps that tend to remedy quite a few issues with most USB portable / external hard drives and devices (though not always)
A few things to check but assumes USB and Windows for other interfaces / operating systems similar steps may be adapted to suit.
1. Ensure it is connected directly to the computer to a USB 2.0 port not a USB 1.0 port as this can have effects on performance and reliability
2. Use only the cables that came with it NOT one that fits that may have been lying around or is longer. Not all USB cables are equal even though they should be)
3. Do not connect through an external USB HUB unless that hub is USB 2.0 AND has its own power supply.
4. Use ONLY the power supply that came with it if it has an external power supply Don’t use any other unless you know it has both the same voltage and current rating e.g. 12V 500mA anything rated below that would not work properly.
5. Always use the same port for connecting your devices. Some devices do not like being switched about. If switched they may want to install software / drivers again. This can be especialy true if you move a HUB to another port
If you checked and fixed anything there and still have issues then check your hardware from CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM / HARDWARE.
Any exclamation marks by hardware need fixing before you investigate any further
Posted on Sep 07, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get to try the service completely Free afterwhich it costs $6 per call and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 19, 2010 | Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB...
Oct 09, 2009 | Western Digital MyBook Studio 1 TB USB...
Jul 12, 2009 | Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB...
Jun 23, 2009 | Western Digital My Book Essential Edition...
Apr 22, 2009 | Western Digital MyBook Studio 1 TB USB...
Sep 15, 2008 | Western Digital My Book Essential Edition...
Mar 02, 2008 | Western Digital My Book Essential Edition...
Jan 24, 2008 | Western Digital My Book Essential Edition...
91 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: