Question about Garmin SOFTWARE, MAPSOURCE CITY NAVIGATOR Maps Software
Hi, I am trying to upgrade a laptop of mine (Windows XP)to Mapsource NT 2009 from Mapsource V8. I have a Zumo 450 already upgraded to NT 2009 and have also already upgraded my desktop to NT 2009. I just want to add this upgrade to one more computer of mine. When I run the set up .exe and after entering the product code, I get the message ''The Garmin server is experiencing Technical difficulties please try the application again later'' I have retried this dozens of times in the past week with no progress. I called Garmin during the week and was dismissed as ''oh yeah we are having a problem, try it again in a few days'' but believe the tech was just trying to go home or something as this problem still persists many days later.
I have doine a web search and this guy had a similiar problem which he figured out was because he had a satellite ISP. I was trying this with a wifi connection, but have now run the laptop hardwired to my router with no luck.
>>This is probably the worst designed product I've ever purchased.
There are no warnings on the Amazon website that this product will NOT install if your internet connection is wireless or a satellite ISP,
Garmin says that it is not their fault because they have these warnings on the Garmin website.
The Garmin solution was to find somebody living in a city with a fast broadband connection and then download software onto someone else's computer and tie up their internet connection for hours while the update proceeds. So remind me again, why did I buy a DVD data disk with all the update maps, if it still requires hours of data communication with a Garmin server?
This is how this DEFECTIVE BY DESIGN update works:
1) put the disk in, hook up the GPS unit with the USB cable
2) run the update application
3) the update application apparently isn't good enough, so it downloads a 7 mb new update application
4) run the updated update application
5) put in your product key code
6) get a message that the Garmin server is experiencing 'Technical difficulties'' and try the application again later
7) repeat procedure 50 times over the next few days, always with the message ''try application again later''
8) call Garmin support and wait 20 minutes on hold
9) get transferred to some other division and wait on hold again
10) finally get connected to some snotty tech who says that it is your fault for buying the update software if you don't live in a city and have high speed DSL access, even though there were no warnings on the Amazon product description that said the update won't work with a satellite connection
11) stare at your $60 plastic coaster and think about the pain of navigating with 3 year old maps
I asked Garmin if I could send in my disk and my GPS and have them update the maps. Nope, they are not allowed to help customers. We must persuade some total stranger in a city to let us enter their home and load garmin software on their computer and tie up their internet connection for hours.
Garmin stated they have no plans to ever change this situation, so for all the people with wireless connections, satellite connections, or dial up connections, you are stuck with your old maps FOREVER.
END OF QUOTE>>
Any ideas suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Your isp makes no difference and garmin should not tell you this. All the information you need should be on that dvd you bought. My suggestion is to disconnect from the Internet, uninstall the nt 2009, restart your computer, then reinstall the program without reconnecting to the Internet. This has worked for me in the past. My email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. If you need further help, I'd be happy to help you.
Posted on Sep 15, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 05, 2010 | Garmin Data Card Programmer GPS Receiver
Sep 14, 2008 | Garmin GPS
Jan 09, 2009 | Garmin zumo 550 GPS Receiver
Mar 29, 2017 | Garmin MapSource United States TOPO...
Nov 21, 2007 | Garmin Nuvi 660 GPS Receiver
Sep 12, 2007 | Garmin zumo 550 GPS Receiver
769 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: