Question about Toshiba 120GB USB 2.0 Portable External 120 GB Hard Drive
I devised these simple steps that tend to remedy quite a few issues with most USB portable / external hard drives and devices (though not always)
A few things to check but assumes USB and Windows for other interfaces / operating systems similar steps may be adapted to suit.
1. Ensure it is connected directly to the computer to a USB 2.0 port not a USB 1.0 port as this can have effects on performance and reliability
2. Use only the cables that came with it NOT one that fits that may have been lying around or is longer. Not all USB cables are equal even though they should be)
3. Do not connect through an external USB HUB unless that hub is USB 2.0 AND has its own power supply.
4. Use ONLY the power supply that came with it if it has an external power supply Don’t use any other unless you know it has both the same voltage and current rating e.g. 12V 500mA anything rated below that would not work properly.
5. Always use the same port for connecting your devices. Some devices do not like being switched about. If switched they may want to install software / drivers again. This can be especialy true if you move a HUB to another port
If you checked and fixed anything there and still have issues then check your hardware from CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM / HARDWARE.
Any exclamation marks by hardware need fixing before you investigate any further
Posted on Sep 05, 2009
Is the portable hard drive USB 2.0 and you have it connected to a USB 1.0 port? Is it brand new? sometimes brand new drives have not been formatted yet and will not be recognized untill it is formatted. Go into my computer and see if it is there. Are there any drivers that came with it and are required to be installed? Does your pc have the proper USB 2.0 drivers installed? And lastly does it do it on every usb connection on your computer?
Posted on Sep 05, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 01, 2011 | Iomega 250GB USB2.0/FW 250 GB USB 2.0 Hard...
Apr 07, 2017 | Iomega 1TB Desktop USB 2.0 Hard Drive
Oct 04, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Sep 27, 2010 | Memorex Ultra Traveldrive - 160GB USB Hard...
Jul 07, 2010 | Seagate FreeAgent Go 250 GB USB 2.0 Hard...
Mar 30, 2010 | Creative Labs ZEN Vision:M Digital Media...
Sep 08, 2009 | Computers & Internet
Jun 20, 2009 | Western Digital Passport 320GB External...
Mar 28, 2009 | Seagate FreeAgent Pro - 500GB, 7200 RPM,...
596 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: