Sparking fire inside the microwave - Knemore Model No. 721.80522500
I wrapped a potato in an alminum foil inside micorawave, a sparking fire burned the left rear plastic hock which holds the metal shelf. I cleaned inside the microwave but the sparking continue. After we removed the burned hock the sparking stopped. What should I do ????
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
No! But it will need to be repaired. Did you wrap the potatoes in tin foil? The reason for the smoke needs to be found and repaired. Smoking means a short or a part shorted, failed, or wires touching another wire that did not blow any fuss.That is not good. Trained technicians can help the mfg improve their products if they find the problem and report it to the Mfg. LOL
Yes it is safe to continue using the Microwave as long as the integrity of the glass is not compromised and the pitted marks do not exceed 1/4 inch. The RFwave generated by the magnetron is a pretty wide RF wave beam.
If your really concerned you can take the unit to any appliance service center and ask that they perform an RF leakage test. There is really no other way to know if your leakage is within acceptable limits. I can tell you from personal experience that the ony microwave I ever saw demonstrated excessive leakage had either been dropped and had hinge or latch damage.
If your really worried about it and can not get to a service center you can do this test:
- Wrap a tall empty glass with a sheet of aluminum foil and place it about 3 inches away from the microwave in front of the area you where noticed the pitting.
- Run the microwave with a GLASS filled with water of equal size for 1 minute.
- Stand back 3 to 4 feet and watch for any signs of a spark on the aluminum foil.
- As soon as the microwave shuts off check the dry foil wrapped glass for any signs of heat.
(No heat.... no problem. Sparks or Heat = repair time.)
You should always put a spoon in a cup of liquid that you heat in a microwave oven. The microwave with a potato wrapped in tin foil is like operating the oven with nothing in it! If the microwave was spotlessly clean then your in trouble. 1 put a cup of cold water in the microwave and set for 5 minutes. if the water boils then your lucky if it cold then go and buy a new microwave and stop your childs allowance for a fortnight. One might ask the question how old is your child and should they be using such a machine unsupervised!