Question about Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Sparking fire inside the microwave - Knemore Model No. 721.80522500

I wrapped a potato in an alminum foil inside micorawave, a sparking fire burned the left rear plastic hock which holds the metal shelf. I cleaned inside the microwave but the sparking continue. After we removed the burned hock the sparking stopped. What should I do ????

Posted by on

Ad

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Microwave Ovens Master
  • 9,098 Answers

If the sparking has stopped, that should be fine.

If you have a burned spot you may need to sand it and repaint it with appliance paint from Wal-Mart, etc.

You can probably replace the shelf bracket / hook if it's still available.

If you'll post your brand and model, we'll see if we can steer you toward a source for a new shelf bracket.

If it's a Kenmore, you can probably find an exploded view by entering your FULL model number here: http://www3.sears.com (the 3 is correct)

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Dec 07, 2007

Ad

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Microwave doesn't work after press the start button


Blown fuse inside the oven. If you can do electrical work, repalce it. I wrapped mine in aluminum foil as a quick fix, as I understand the very high risk of fire and possible death from doing so.

Nov 21, 2013 | Sharp R-408J Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I have a 3-year old Amana microwave installed above my stove. Last night I was baking two potatoes in the microwave. I noticed that the microwave sounded "louder" than normal. After about 13...


No! But it will need to be repaired. Did you wrap the potatoes in tin foil? The reason for the smoke needs to be found and repaired. Smoking means a short or a part shorted, failed, or wires touching another wire that did not blow any fuss.That is not good.
Trained technicians can help the mfg improve their products if they find the problem and report it to the Mfg.
LOL

Jan 28, 2011 | Amana MVH210W Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Daughter put tin foil in microwave. Now it take 5 min to pop a half a bag of popcorn. And won't make a baked potato at all.?????


any exposed metal will burn up a microwave.Unless it is a very exspensive model,It will cost more for a repairman to fix than it would to replace

Oct 11, 2010 | Maytag Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

I put a metal pan with food inside my microwave oven. I heard a popping sound and there are now two tiny black marks pitted into the glass on the door. I can feel the two pitted marks from both inside...


Yes it is safe to continue using the Microwave as long as the integrity of the glass is not compromised and the pitted marks do not exceed 1/4 inch. The RFwave generated by the magnetron is a pretty wide RF wave beam.

If your really concerned you can take the unit to any appliance service center and ask that they perform an RF leakage test. There is really no other way to know if your leakage is within acceptable limits. I can tell you from personal experience that the ony microwave I ever saw demonstrated excessive leakage had either been dropped and had hinge or latch damage.

If your really worried about it and can not get to a service center you can do this test:
- Wrap a tall empty glass with a sheet of aluminum foil and place it about 3 inches away from the microwave in front of the area you where noticed the pitting.
- Run the microwave with a GLASS filled with water of equal size for 1 minute.
- Stand back 3 to 4 feet and watch for any signs of a spark on the aluminum foil.
- As soon as the microwave shuts off check the dry foil wrapped glass for any signs of heat.

(No heat.... no problem. Sparks or Heat = repair time.)

Thanks for choosing FixYa.

Kelly

Sep 21, 2010 | Sharp R-1480 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Sweet potatoe caught fire in my microwve


the magnatron super heated the paper combined with what we in the industry call super combust your micro should be ok to use just keep it clean and if you use toweling wraP it around rather than cover

Apr 21, 2010 | Amana ACO1860 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Baked potatoes went up in flames now microwave has no power no lights. power outlet has 110v ac


Were the potatoes wrapped in foil? If so, the megatron tube was burned out. Replace unit.

Nov 06, 2009 | Kenmore 62622 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Will tin foil in the microwave ruin it completely? The microwave turned off after my son mircowaved a potato wrapped in tin foil.


You should always put a spoon in a cup of liquid that you heat in a microwave oven.
The microwave with a potato wrapped in tin foil is like operating the oven with nothing in it! If the microwave was spotlessly clean then your in trouble.
1 put a cup of cold water in the microwave and set for 5 minutes. if the water boils then your lucky if it cold then go and buy a new microwave and stop your childs allowance for a fortnight.
One might ask the question how old is your child and should they be using such a machine unsupervised!

Nov 05, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Fire in microwave


Do not put any metallic objects or substances in side the oven . It will produce arcing inside the oven. Take care in future.

May 10, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

FIRE


Manufacturers will note that they warn in their owner manuals to never leave a microwave running unattended, so they won't help you any further, I'm sure.

Mmost modern microwaves have a flame sensor inside that will shut the microwave down completely in case flames get too high.

Then the cooling fan and power will shut off, and the fire will almost certainly be smothered pretty quickly due to a lack of air inside the oven.

Also, the inside is metal, thus the only fuel for the fire would have been the potato, which would not have lasted long.

So as scary and disturbing as this event was, I would say the real danger of a fire outside of the oven was miniscule.

The fire probably occured due to a dry or irregular spot in the skin of the potato. Once it's dry, it will of course burn much easier.

So now to the smell...

You should do a Google search on "odor microwave" or "microwave smell" where you can find tips on boiling water & baking soda, then vinegar and water in the microwave to neutralize the smell.

If your microwave does not work, then it may have blown the flame sensor (thermal fuse) and that would have to be replaced.

Please let us know if we can help further.

Nov 15, 2007 | Kenmore 62702 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

425 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9098 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17130 Answers

Marvin
Marvin

Level 3 Expert

82331 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...