Fuse blows immediately when start button is pressed
Thank you for your help. My wife tells me yesterday that the microwave made a loud buzz, right as she was opening the door to take something out. Later when I tried it, I got a very loud startup buzz and then nothing. I removed the unit from the wall and replaced the fuse. Same thing happened again, dies immediately after pushing start button. The unit is a Kitchenaid KHMS105ESB-0 made in 1998.
I am very electronically inclined and have read enough on this site to speculate that it is the High Voltage Capacitor that is bad. I wanted to email you for other possibilities before I dig deeper into the unit and buy a $100 part.
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones). click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Good luck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Q - My microwave went dead when I opened the door ( same problem as closed the door ). A - This often is a stuck or faulty door switch and it has blown the interior microwavefuse. Q - My microwave is completely dead. A - House fuse has blown or interior fuse inside the microwave has blown ( usually a part inside the microwave makes this fuse blow ) Sometimes a bad fuse holder inside the microwave cannot hold the fuse tight enough and the fuse will blow as well. Q - My microwave blows the fuse inside itself as soon as I push the start button. A - Usually a shorted high voltage capacitor...see components section. Q - I burnt something in my microwave and now it is dead...help! A - The fuse inside the microwave may have blown, but more commonly the flame/oven thermostat has sensed the over cooked food and the flame/oven/cavity thermostat has opened up - Info on that Q - My microwave seems to shut off every once in a while, what might be wrong? A - Make sure you hear the fan is still operating in your microwave. Next is to make sure the air intake grill on your microwave is not plugged up with air borne dust and dirt. Q - The microwave makes a loud "hum or buzz" noise but will not heat up the food? A - 9 times out of 10 this is usually this is a bad magnetron, the other time is sometimes a bad high voltage diode. See components section.
My microwave was totally dead. Things I discovered:
1) There is an easily replacable fuse accessed by taking off the top front vent cover (two screws on top, gently massage off) and then the inside plastic grill. UNPLUG before doing this!
2) Pop off two wires on either end of fuse holder for safety. Then pop out fuse and replace.
For more extensive help, there is an evelope with a wiring diagram inside the case on the inside wall! Very helpful when diagnosing the surface lamp problem (I forgot to plug the ballast back in when I closed up the bottom).
When there's a loud buzz like that, it does not heat, and does not blow the fuse, it is usually a defective magnetron.
Did it sound something like someone making a "gurgling" sound into a coffee cup?
I think this has a a one-year warranty, with n five-year warranty covering the magnetron.
You can find a local Amana-authorized servicer here:
You probably have a blown fuse (15A or 20A ceramic type) which may be caused by a blown part in the high voltage section. These are widely available at local stores.
You can find exploded views and parts by entering your full model number here: http://www.geappliances.com/shop/prts/
If the new fuse blows immediately when you hit the START button, you also have a shorted high voltage capacitor.
Need more help?