Radeon X800 XL AGP Card Installation Error
You should do a deep uninstall of all of the ati drivers present in your system... here are the instructions.
The "deep uninstall" starts by first uninstalling all ati
drivers and programs present in the affected computer computer,
remember to remove al ati related programs from control panel's add
remove utility, including the whole multimedia center. And finally
reinstalling the new drivers.
You should have downloaded the most recent catalyst drivers from
Now proceed with the "deep uninstall" following this directions,
taken from somewhere on the internet, thanks to the one who wrote
1. Go into the Control Panel and under the ADD/REMOVE SOFTWARE
icon uninstall the ATI Multimedia software and/or the ATI DVD software.
2. Uninstall the ATI drivers also found in the Add/Remove section. Once removed, it will prompt you to reboot....do so.
3. When returning to windows, the NEW HARDWARE FOUND wizard will
come up and will tell you that it has found a new VGA card and will
prompt you for drivers. Hit CANCEL!
4. Now, go to START - SEARCH - FOR FILES OR FOLDERS and do a search for all files and folders using the filename ati*.*
search will normally give you 3 to 4 files found in your c:/windows
directory and subdirectories (including the Windows/System directory).
Select these files and erase them. Now go to your Recycle Bin and Empty
5. Next...time to go to your Registry. Go to START -- RUN -- regedit
Here go to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -- SYSTEM -- ControlSet001 --
Control -- Video . Here there should be 4 entries. 3 of them are
default Windows XP entries and the 4th one is put in by the ATI
drivers. Expand each one by one until you see ATI entries. Once found,
erase the entire key.
Now repeat the same step above for the ControlSet002 key and the
CurrentControlSet Key. Normally, whenever you erase a key in the
ControlSet001, XP automatically deletes it in the CurrentControlSet
section too. So if the ATI key is not found in the CurrentControlSet
section, don't worry about it.
Once all keys are deleted, proceed to the next step.
6. While still in the registry, go to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
-- SOFTWARE section. Here you should find an ATI Technologies key.
Select it and delete it. In that same section, look for an Installed
Options key. Expand it and there you should find another ATI
Technologies key. Select it and erase it.
7. Still in the registry, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -- Software and
there you should find another ATI technologies key. Select it and erase
it. Once all this is done, close the registry. the registry is now
clean. Though you might want to even run a registry cleaner, like the
one included in the freeware program CCLEANER, it's very good, can be
undone and it's safe enough to use it almost blindly.
8. Close all windows and reboot.
9. When in windows after the reboot the NEW HARDWARE FOUND WIZARD
will pop up again. Cancel that. Now find the new ATI drivers that you
have downloaded and extracted and run the SETUP file. Once complete,
reboot and you are DONE!
Jul 08, 2008 |
ATI Sapphire RADEON X800XL RADEON X800 XL...