Question about GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Motor sounds differently, smells like something is getting hot, won't heat the food

Motor sounds different, smells like something is getting hot, won't heat the food

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • GE Master
  • 8,793 Answers
Re: motor sounds differently, smells like something is...

Do you have good air flow coming out of the vents?

If for some reason the cooling fan stopped working, it can cause the magnetron to overheat and be damaged.

If you don't still have your manual, you can download it here:

It will address ventilation issues.

Please write back with more details if you need further help.

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Dec 06, 2007

Add Your Answer

0 characters

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add


3 Points

Related Questions:

1 Answer

What to do when oven smells like burning plastic

new ovens do have a certian amount of "burn in" to do when there new best to heat up and cool off oven several times before actuall food use to remove any construction solvents and "cure" all the materials inside

also ck to make sure you removed all the shipping packing sometimes this gets left inside by accedent and smells something horrible when heated ( caution :: Foam degrades to cyanide deadly gas when heated!!!!)

Sep 08, 2014 | Microwave Ovens


DANGER WARNING! Potential Hazard if your microwave was working and now doesn't...

If you have this model microwave and it was working fine, then one day it stopped heating items placed inside there are a handful of different issues that could be the problem. In my case it was intermittent, over a period of a few days it would sometimes work (heat) and sometimes not. NO MATTER if this is what your's is doing or if it stopped heating all together. If you decide to let it dry out, or not use it for a while to see if it was a one time occurrence, or whatever the reason, the first time you put something in and probably for the next 10 times at least (this assumes it starts to work again), make sure you are right there with it while it is cooking. Don't assume you can put something in, go do something and come back when the timer is beeping. There is a chance (as this happened to me) that your food inside will CATCH FIRE! Normal food item placed inside, no metal, nothing different than the numerous times before when this had been cooked but when we smelled smoke we came running. Fortunately it started and finished inside the microwave but that's not a guarantee, it could spread. Play it safe. Never had a problem like this before and never heard of a microwave cooking something until it caught on fire (especially since the time entered for the cook was 30 seconds) but it did.

on Sep 23, 2013 | GE JVM1850SMSS Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My frigadare microwave runs normal but wont heat the food

From the description you have provided, the magnetron has shorted. This a job for a professional because there is lethal voltages present that will kill.

Mar 27, 2012 | Frigidaire Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Food not heating

Most likely cause is thet the agnatron is faulty. Does it sound any different? If so then it is cheaper to replace the oven than to replace the magnatron in the long run. If you put a cup of water in the oven and run it for 4 minutes and it is not boiling hot then the magnatron is bad.

Sep 11, 2011 | Emerson Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I placed food in the microwave over to heat for 19 seconds, when it was finished I smelled smoke coming from the oven. The food was fine. I unpluged the oven. I tried it a couple of days later, it...

the smoke probably came from the heated food. try using it next time with different kind of foods and also try it to the same kind of food that produces smoke but observe carefully what will happen.

Dec 29, 2010 | Emerson Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I have a ge spacemaker XL1400. It was manufacture

it sounds to me like the magnetron is shot in it. this is the part that creates the heat. not worth repairing on a 10 year old unit. Sorry.

Nov 08, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Makes loud hum and faint smell when turned on

It sounds like your magnetron failing.

If a fuse were blown, it would be totally dead with no lights, no display, etc.

Keeping it out of the landfill a while longer by getting it fixed is always an option.

If it's within the magnetron portion of the warranty (usually 5-9 years) but out of the original full warranty (usually 1 year), then your manufacturer will cover the part cost, but not the cost to visit you or the labor charge to do the work.

For Goldstar / LG / L.G. help, call 1-800-243-0000 (M-F, 7am-8pm CT, Sat 8-5 CT) and choose the appropriate prompt from the menu or visit here.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Nov 20, 2008 | Goldstar MV-1501 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Kenmore microwave wont heat food

I would suspect you have a failed high voltage transformer or maybe magnetron.

If you or someone you know wants to look into this, we have critical safety, disassembly, and troubleshooting info at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa:

You can usually find exploded views and part prices by entering your FULL model number here:

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

May 30, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Burning odor, no heat

A burning smell along with a different sound (growl) USUALLY indicates a breakdown in the High Voltage Side. This is not a direct short (short circuit) or the line fuse would have blown shutting everything down. The High Voltage Side is made up of-- The Secondary ,or High Voltage Side of The High Voltage Transformer, A High Voltage Diode, A High Voltage Capacitor, and The Magnetron. If The High Voltage Transformer is the problem it will smell like a florescent light ballast burning, and will smell each time you turn on the MW. A HV Diode burns and opens, thus no more smell. A HV Capacitor usually does not burn nor does the Magnetron. There is no Cheap-Fix unless you can see that the HV Diode is burned into and you can get to it to replace. CAUTION: Always unplug from power before attempting to repair. NOTE: If you replace a Diode make sure it goes back in the same direction it came out. Yes there is a front and back.

Jan 26, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven Logo

Related Topics:

102 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8793 Answers


Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1059 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides