An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: Sparks when in use
Sonja, I'm not sure what hinges you're speaking about. If you are referring to the bumpers on the ends of the wire racks that are used for convection...move the racks away from the wall. Generally, you should not have anything metal in the unit when it is just microwaving....they are for convection use. You will not start a fire but you will shorten the life of the magnetron if you continue to allow the sparking condition.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Make sure no metal item (forks-spoons or oven rack) is touching the outer wall of the microwave. That will cause sparks. If all that is OK then there is usually a metal fan type blade in the microwave top called a stirrer blade that may be out of place and rubbing the cavity causing sparks. Try to pin point the spark area so you know where to look for the problem. Sparks usually mean metal is touching metal somewhere.
Pry off plastic tab. Clean up burn marks with sand paper and touchup paint. Order a new rack clip. Also clean any burn residue off rack.
MOST IMPORTANT: After the repair, do not put the rack back in unless you are cooking on it. Running the microwave with nothing on the rack is what causes this to happen.
the microwave is sparking or arcing the waveguide cover might be
damaged and shorting out. Try removing the waveguide cover and see
if the problem goes away. If there are any damaged spots in the
microwave ceiling or sidewalls, repair them and paint them with
microwave oven paint. Replace the waveguide cover if it is burnt or
if it will not stay in place.
the microwave is sparking or arcing on the side walls the paint
might have chipped causing pitting in the metal oven wall. Use
microwave safe paint to touch up any bare metal spots.
the microwave is sparking or arcing near one of the rack supports,
remove the support, repaint any bare metal, install a new support.
If the sparks are happening on the inside of the microwave's cooking area while you are cooking, then make sure you clean the inner surfaces really well. Be sure to remove any cooked on food particles that may have splashed up during cooking.
If the cleaning does not work, you may need to replace the waveguide cover. Click on the following Youtube video link for an instructional video on the process:
Yes it is possible to replace the plastic clips. However thats not the problem. The problem is exposed metal under the plastic clip. Remove the clip and you will see it. You need to sand it down so that it is smooth, then use ceramic paint to cover up the exposed metal. You should check under all 4 clips to be safe. Clips are a little tricky to get out, just insert a screwdriver on either side and pry gently.
Yes if you can find someone to supply it as a spare part. Clean any grease or debris from behind it too. Often there are little plastic rivets that hold it on. You might as well order them too. If it burnt too bad there will be a carbonisation on the panel too which must be cleaned off as it will attract the microwave energy.
Before ordering anything, remove the burnt panel and run the microwave with just a cup of water in it to make sure it still works fine.
Whatever you do, do not open up a microwave oven cabinet, they are very dangerous inside. If you cant remove the panel from within the cooking cavity then leave well alone and get an engineer to look at it.