Question about GE JEB1095 Convection/Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Door glass EXPLODED -- by itself while micro NOT BEING USED since a.m.

My husband was in the next room. My son was eating ceral and there was a "pop" and a "crash" sound. My 8 year old son was speechless and my husband could not believe it. A section of glass popped and crashed onto the counter and what remains in the door is "crackling". THIS IS VERY DISTRESSING. The microwave is at eye height for my son who just had open heart surgery. What defect caused this? What do I do now? I have no confidence in this product at all and it's disappointing. Thanks for your assistance. Bridget

Posted by on

  • 3 more comments 
  • Anonymous Jan 13, 2008

    This happened to us last week (early January 2008). I had used the microwave on Power Level 5 for about 5 minutes to make my daughter some oatmeal. About 5-10 minutes later (when the microwave was not in use), it spontaneously exploded, sending pieces of glass flying out from around the edges of the closed door.

  • Anonymous Mar 05, 2008

    Same thing here. I had used the microwave for 5 minutes then removed the items. Was across the room and heard a loud pop and cracking noise. The entire class door was cracked. Has anyone gotten a response from GE on ths materials failure ?

  • sascgcs Dec 14, 2008

    We had the same problem, the night before thanksgiving. Our glass did not explode out from the door. My wife heard a cracking noise and the glass was shattered.

  • Anonymous Feb 09, 2009

    Our Kenmore built in microwave just exploded yesterday. Similar shock and awe of walking in the room to hear it break, wondering what was going on. Also it was not being used.

  • lizanha May 16, 2009

    My microwave which I bought a year and a half ago, also exploded in the middle of the night, sending pieces of glass all over the kitchen.  It exploded through the sides too!! paid a fortune for this oven and on top of that it is built in and the model was discontinued by GE.  I don't know what to do.
    Upset in Weston, FL



1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • GE Master
  • 9,098 Answers

This has happened a few times before.

I would bet it's due to too tight a fit or shirnkage on the plastic frame around the glass.

Here's a VERY interesting link to a TV news site with full video:

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer!

Good luck!

Posted on Dec 06, 2007


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

What could cause loud popping sounds?

The sounds you are hearing is the defrosted water, from auto defrosting, running onto the hot compressor. This evaporates the defrosted water. This is quite normal.

Mar 23, 2014 | Samsung RF260BEAEWW

1 Answer

Have Spacemaker Microwave--JVM1630WB 004. started cooking ,heard a POP!! , and it did not cook the food. smelled like burnt wires or capacitor. No fire. fuse did not blow. Any suggestions ?

I had the same thing happen to my 20 year old Frigidare microwave (it was 8 years old at the time). Same POP!, same failure. Though I'm handy with electrical, I don't mess around with the innards of a microwave. There are lethal doses of electricity stored in some capacitors even when the device is unplugged. I took mine to an appliance repair shop that works on microwaves. In my case, a high-end capacitor had blown. The repair cost me $80.00. $5.00 for the part, $75.00 for the labor. My microwave is still working 12 years later.

My solution is not pleasant. If you call a tech out to your house, his charge for labor and parts will probably be more than the cost of a new microwave. Taking it to a repair shop is cheaper, but you would want an estimate first which in itself will not be free of charge.

New microwaves have come down in price over the years. Countertop models for as little as $100.00. Over the range models starting at about $250.00.

Whatever you decide, this is going to cost you some money. Your microwave is dead. Good luck and hope I've helped a bit.

Jan 02, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

2 Answers

MW8115SS worked perfectly and then went dead

Blown fuse , take the outer cover off and change the fuse. Iff you don't have a fuse use a piece of tin foil until you find a replacement fuse.
Hopefully this helps you out.

Aug 18, 2009 | Emerson MW8102SS 1100 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Sparks pops odd burned smell

I would certainly take it to a repair shop if you want to try and salvage it. Until then keep it off and unplugged.

Feb 14, 2009 | Frigidaire PLMV168 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE JVM 1650BB does not heat...

My magnatron went out on my 2003 model ge replaced the part but I had to pay the labor.Mine had a ten year warranty on parts.

Oct 17, 2008 | GE JVM1650 1000 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Took 12 minutes to heat up a roast beef sandwich (not frozen).

Hi there!
My guess would be that the magnetron is faulty. If you have a testmeter, unplug the terminals on the magnetron and measure between the body of the magnetron and either one of the terminals. There should be no reading. If you have a reading it is faulty. Then also check the High Voltage Cap. Cylindrical shaped metal item with two terminals. I would replace the Cap anyway. It's 9 Years old. Conclusion: Magnetron is faulty, runs Hot and then switches off the machine on the Thermal switch(located on top of the Magnetron). No problem with the food. Be sure to unplug the Mains before you check it out. The Cap may also still be charged so do take precaution. Good Luck,JUS004

Feb 29, 2008 | GE JE1640 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE xl1800 spacesaver microwave

It sounds like you could have one or two problems. Using the oven with metal in it could cause the magnatron to go bad at its tip causing it to arc and making a popping sound. It could be that there is bare metal exposed somewhere causing the popping sound. Take it in for service!!

Feb 23, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE JEB1095 Convection/Microwave Oven Logo

Related Topics:

166 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9098 Answers


Level 2 Expert

225 Answers


Level 3 Expert

1175 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides