Question about RCA P61940 61" Rear Projection Television

1 Answer

My rca p60752eblg2

I have been told my hv splitter is bad. i have read things on the internet that usually when the hv splitter goes bad, the R721U is fried as well. the problem the tv is having is when you hit the power button on the tv, it makes an arching noise. any suggestions?

Posted by on

  • 4 more comments 
  • Caddyman30 Dec 05, 2007

    this may be a stupid question, but what is the flyback? how do i find this r721u? is it a part that i can replace? should i replace the hv splitter, part number 205064?

  • Caddyman30 Dec 05, 2007

    ok guys, i replaced the splitter. still, i have the same problem. the set actually did sound like it was going to power up and then it shut down, no more noise at all. smelled a buring smell. what can i try next?

  • Caddyman30 Dec 05, 2007

    another stupid question.... what is the "flyback" you are referring to? is that another name for the hv splitter. if so, i got it from a local electronics store here in charlotte. part number 205064. this r721.... what circuit board would it be located on? i noticed a circuit board behind a plate you take off to get to the hv splitter. is it that board? if that one is blown, who would i get the part from, and how much am i looking at. also, do you think i have damaged this new splitter?

  • Caddyman30 Dec 06, 2007

    i will try to find that r721. how hard is it to replace? is it dangerous? thanks so much for all the info you have given thus far.

  • Caddyman30 Dec 07, 2007

    ok, i looked on the big circuit board and could not find r721u. i did notice small circuit boards on the bottom side of the glass tubes (3 of them total) is where the arcing is coming from. i wanted to make sure before i tried to remove one of the circuit boards if this was dangerous or not. i dont want to get zapped if you know what i mean. i want to make sure that these tubes, whatever they are, dont hold a charge. thanks again!

  • Caddyman30 Dec 07, 2007

    ok, thanks again for getting back to me. i want to make sure before i do this that by pulling that tube out, i do not risk in danger of shock. i was looking at it, do you think it would be best to take the circuit board lose and then pull the whole unit (lamp and all) out from the top and clean it that way. you can see inside on some metal some arcing dustings. that is what made me think the tube was bad. it is the red tube. anyways, let me know if it is safe to pull the whole unit out. thanks again.



1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.

  • Master
  • 4,402 Answers

Yes it does sound like the flyback is bad, the only other thing that arc is a picture tube.

Posted on Dec 05, 2007

  • 4 more comments 
  • Cary Farah
    Cary Farah Dec 05, 2007

    I don't have access to a service manual so i don't know the part numbers, but the fly back is the biggest part in there and it also contains high voltage and you could get shocked from the tub if not don't correctly, the fly back will have red wires coming out of it and it has suction like cups going to the tubes, you have to ground a flat blade screw driver and ground it and get it up under each suction cup and release the high voltage from the tube, make sure your not touching the metal of the screw driver. as far as the resister r721u you have to look on the circuit board all the components are written on the board look around the flyback first it should be a small part you may have to move the part out of they to see the number, just make sure the tv is unpluged and don't touch anything with your fingers, one hand should be outside the tv at all times. once again im going to say this is very dangerous!

  • Cary Farah
    Cary Farah Dec 05, 2007

    Did you find r721? check and or replace. how did you get a flyback that fast?

  • Cary Farah
    Cary Farah Dec 05, 2007

    Yeah Flyback HV (high voltage )spliter one in the same im just from the old school i guess.
    I don't know where the part is i don't have access to a service manual, i would have though it be close to the hv splitter, im thinking it would be same like the size of a pencil lead, i think the hv would be ok.

  • Cary Farah
    Cary Farah Dec 06, 2007

    it small and it just unsolders two leads, no it's not dangerous, you replaced the sdk's you can do this.

  • Cary Farah
    Cary Farah Dec 07, 2007

    Tubes do hold a charge, however it's at the Anode part of the Tube( where the Red Think wire enters the tube that has a suction cap on the end). It's not common that the board would arc, it's more common that the tube (especially if it's one tube) to are making it that to be to be bad. clean all the smoke and dust off first.
    then if you pull the board off pull it straight down, do not twist, there may also be some glue on the side holding it on.

  • Cary Farah
    Cary Farah Dec 08, 2007

    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO do not pull the whole tube out unless you have to. you will have a nightmare trying to get it realingned



1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

My RCA HD52W59 problem

set is prone to two problems: high voltage splitter at front of set behind speaker grill arcs-------also set does have parts on HV board that do the same thing---HV transformer feeds voltage to the splitter.

Jun 07, 2012 | RCA HD52W59 HDTV Projection Television

1 Answer

Rca D61W20 52 in power supply

If the deflection power board was changed with a known good one . then the HV splitter block would be suspect then followed by a bad CRT next. I would try removing one CRT drive board at a time by letting it hang free wires attached then trying to power up the set if it doesnt power up then try one of the other crt drive boards after reattaching the one you previously unhooked. If the set powers up if any certain CRT board is removed you will know the problem is that CRT. If it doesnt power up then its most likely the HV splitter. You can get replacement CRTs, boards and HV splitters that have warranties from

Jan 22, 2012 | RCA D52W20 52" Rear Projection HDTV-Ready...

1 Answer

How to remove high voltage distribution box rated at 250 volts this is problem with rca model p60923bl tv no power on press power on button tv clicks 3 times and turn off no picture.

If you are talking about the HV splitter in the front of the set----remove the front grill(screws behind set on either side) and then the inspection plate behind it----the splitter will have a red wire coming from the HV transformer and 3 more red wires going to each of the picture tubes--If the splitter is bad remove the wire from the high voltage transformer that goes into it(it should pull out and if may be hard to get it out) with it out and not touching anything (isolate it well clear of anything) the set should then come on and you should hear a hiss from the wire you removed---if the set stays on shut it off quickly and replace the block---most of them are available on the internet at a reasonable cost.
hope this was helpful.

Aug 11, 2009 | Televison & Video

2 Answers

I have a rca p52939 that won't turn on.

Failure of the HV splitter was a very common problem when I was doing these big screens on the road. The set won't come on if the splitter shorts. We used to test if that was the cause by pulling the HV input lead out of the splitter (leaving it still inside the plastic cup so it wouldn't arc anywhere) and turning the set on. Most often the set would fire right up (without picture of course).

I believe the RCA part number for the splitter is 205064, and it's available from a number of sources. I'm not home right now so I can't check. If I have the number wrong I'll post a follow-up comment.

Feb 13, 2009 | RCA P52939 52" Rear Projection Television

1 Answer

Tv trys to turn on 3 times and quits

sounds like a bad flyback converter on thee circut board (about 70-00 for part!

Dec 07, 2008 | iLO 3200 32 in. LCD Television

1 Answer

RCA model hd56w58

the part number for the high voltage transformer, according to another post for this tv is 258512. See below:

Best Solution posted on Sep 03, 2008 3%20stars.png

noavatar_s.gif jdenton77
Rank:nonexpert_s.gif Apprentice
Rating: 85%, 1 votes
Yes, i had the same issue. High voltage trans. and the HV distributor (splitter) goes bad on there tv, they are known for that. I have the part numbers for the HVT p/n 258655 and HV distributor(splitter) p/n 258512. The two p/n are for HD56W58 proj. tv

Jul 08, 2008 | RCA HD56W58 56" TV

1 Answer

Tv repair

HV splitter and flyback are common failure items. Remove the HV lead from the HV splitter that comes from the flyback, Place that into a dry glass jar secured so it doesnt come out. Then try powering up the set if the set powers up without shutting down the splitter is bad.

Mar 14, 2008 | RCA D52W20 52" Rear Projection HDTV-Ready...

1 Answer

Rca p60752eb

Disconnect the lead from the flyback to the splitter. Place the flyback lead securely in a dry glass container and try to power up the set. If it doesnt shutdown the HV Block (splitter) is bad.

Feb 11, 2008 | RCA P61960 61" Rear Projection Television

1 Answer

Wire diagram for splitter

On the 205064 hv splitter with the splitter mounted in the set,left to right, hv transformer,red tube,green tube,blue tube,plug on right side goes to screen asy,the black wires plug on the left side of splitter,which are grounds.

Jul 28, 2007 | RCA P52771AT 52" Rear Projection...

1 Answer

No Power and beeping noise in circuitry

had a 51" rca rear projection donated to myself. While off and power button pressed there was a clicking noise from the front of the unit. Rear cover was removed and it could be observed that the hv splitter had a crack in the casing and the power was arcing out of the splitter. I purchased a $72 dollar hv splitter, i read that the $20-$30 dollar one would break within a year, and the unit powered up no problems.

Nov 20, 2005 | RCA P46920BL 46" Rear Projection...

Not finding what you are looking for?
RCA P61940 61" Rear Projection Television Logo

Related Topics:

107 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top RCA Televison & Video Experts

The Knight
The Knight

Level 3 Expert

75846 Answers


Level 3 Expert

905 Answers

matt martin
matt martin

Level 3 Expert

1230 Answers

Are you a RCA Televison and Video Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides