- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
check the changeover switch and wiring if that's ok then you will need to check the coils on the alternator when using 110 it runs both coils in parallel but when using 220v it runs both in series if one coil is out you will get nothing
If the AC unit is 110V then you must plug it into a regular 110V outlet. You cannot plug it into the 220V outlet. Either get a bigger 220V unit or use a 12 gauge extension cord to get it to a 110V outlet.
There was a day and time when generators were simple. There were no capacitors, regulators to control/adjust power to magnet or ground fault outlets. Winding getting hot indicates short, however could be bad capacitors. Rectifiers and capacitors must be removed from circuit to test properly. Here is a simple test that I use to find fault area. I use a small power supply (16v AC 1 amp like doorbell transformer) into the 110v outlet of generator. This should energize the armature magnet and actually produce voltage at commutator with brushes pulled off. You can slowly pull the starter rope to move the armature into a different positon the voltage will vary. If the ac windings are shorted there will be very little or no magnet. There is a seperate 110 v circuit at the 220v outlet to test (there are two 110v windings that make up the 220v outlet, one is also used for the 110v outlet). There is another winding that products voltage for the regulator that powers the magnet thru the brushes but I think that circuit is porbably working because of the heat in the windings. You might even have 110v power at the 220v outlet. As our parents told us over and over, be careful when working with electricity. Enjoy
I don't know for sure, but I suspect that if you open it up, there should be a fuse near the power supply portion of the unit. It may have taken the hit for you and can perhaps be replaced easily.
(As a disclaimer... be sure the unit is not plugged in when you open the case! And only replace the fuse with another of equal rating.)
If it's not a fuse, then you probably smoked the primary winding of the transformer. If it got past that, you may have popped the rectifier and/or capacitor(s) in the power supply.