Ive got a ps2 thats about 2 years old just recently it started freezing when i put dvds in it and now it wont read any discs except 4 one which freezes once it loads anyway but it still spins fine ive tried cleaning it a few times i desparately need a solution
I can only think of two things with that problem. one your lens might be scratched or the laser unit is no good. you can replace that part by removing it from an older unit or going on ebay buy it from them unit model SONY PS2 SPU3170 Laser 3170 Lens. this will solve your problem fast.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
1. DVD has lots of scratches 2. Regional Settings 3. Incorrect DVD settings for PS2 4. No/Incorrect Disc
1. Clean your discs well and avoid incurring scratches. Place it in its box after use. 2. DVDs have encoding. They are encoded by regions. Thus, you cannot play region 2 DVDs on a US Playstation mainly because the US Playstation 2 can only read DVD that are encoded in Region 1 or those DVDs that are encoded for all regions. Again, US PS2 are region 1 capable. Japanese PS2s are Region 2 Capable. 3. There are a number of settings for the DVD playback of your PS2. First is the rating of the DVD. If you want to watch a rated R movie, make sure your PS2 allows viewing of R movies. You'll be setting this during the first time that you'll be watching a DVD. It's just the same as real theaters. It is also protected with password so you need the person who set it up the first time in order to bypass the rating settings.
4. Put in a DVD first and make sure that it is a Movie. And, check #2.
Your PS2 laser is wearing out. When the laser starts to go, first games will skip... then eventually the PS2 will stop reading DVDs altogether. If you keep using it to read CDs, it will eventually stop reading those too and the laser will die altogether. Here's a website that will help you identify your PS2 model, show you how to replace the laser, and they sell parts and do repairs too http://store.richspsxparts.com/slps2direerl.html
If you are in North America, you PS2 will not play PAL formatted disks. (NTSC is what is used here). You would need a modded PS2 to play the game. If you can get your money back, I would recommend that. If not, then you might want to try to sell it on eBay.
hi ive had the same probs as you's. except mine would read ps2 games and normal dvds, but not bluray or ps3 games, all that happens is a loading symbol in the top right screen comes up. so i spoke to sony today on the phone and they promised me that a patch was coming out on tues 8th of jan 08 to fix theese errors. 1000's of ps3's are havin g same problens. so roll on tuesday...... hope this helps you