Question about Whirlpool MH7140XF Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Whirlpool builtin microwave humkming loudly

Microwave was working then 2 hours later it started humming very loudly and not heating. All motors are turning freely.Has the magnetron gone bad and if so what makes it hum?

Posted by on

Ad

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Sniper:

    An expert who has posted more than 50 answers, of which 90% or more were rated as helpful.

    Governor:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.

  • Expert
  • 70 Answers

Yes for sure magnetron or diode has gone bad.but usually it is the mag.magnetron when go bad they start making noise and stop heating.when chaging magnetron chg the diode with it.

Posted on Aug 18, 2009

Ad

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE:

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

My Kitchenaid combo convection/mw works on convect but has a loud humming and no heat on microwave.


A loud humming noise in microwave mode will usually be a shorted high voltage diode or bad magnetron.

Sep 16, 2013 | KitchenAid Architect II KHHC2090S ...

1 Answer

Microwave will not heat, but will turn on. Clock and Timer still work. Turntable turns. Making a loud humming noise and light flickers


This clearly indicates a bad magnetron, "heats food" in most cases it is cheaper to replace the microwave oven than have it repaired, since the magnetron is the heart of the unit.

Mar 01, 2012 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My microwave makes a loud humming noise when it is turned on.


May as well use the microwave as is until it terminates naturally. All microwave ovens buzz, that nothing unusual, but although you can replace a Magnetron, the cost is unusually high. By the time you take the oven down, open the case and fuss around, perhaps not making things any better; the fact is; a new replacement with a warranty is just over $100. Why bother?

Feb 04, 2018 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My microwave makes a loud humming noise when it is turned on. What do I need to replace?


Good possibility your start capacitor is leaking. When it goes completely it will blow fuse or circuit breaker causing a dead condition. You can get and replace this yourself but be careful to discharge the capacitor with a set of test leads across the terminals. This part can hold dangerous voltage! Of course, unplug the unit first. The magnetron is expensive if you can even get one. For the cost of most new units, this may be too much unless it’s a over the stove model.

Feb 04, 2018 | Kenmore 69682 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

The microwave isnt heating.


If everything else works, like the light, motor, keypad but not heat, means that the magnetron circuit has failed. If it hums or buzzes loudly when heating food, means that the magnetron is shorted. The replacement part is almost as much as a new oven so it does not make sense to fix. Sorry.

Apr 13, 2011 | Maytag Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

The microwave makes a loud "hum or buzz" noise but will not heat up the food My microwave is running and sounds like it is working but will not heat up anything.


Hi, Your hi-voltage system has gone bad. The noise you are hearing is the hi-voltage transformer. This has taken the magnetron which does the heating out. The magnetron has a 5 year warranty on it, the rest of these parts only have a year on them. Contact your nearest repair center. Thanks,

Jan 17, 2011 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

No heat in microwave. Makes loud humming sound when turn on. Model GE Spacemaker JVM166OWBC 04


The humming can be caused by a couple of bad parts. Usually it's the magnetron tube, the microwave source. They often fail by shorting out, and the loud hum from the power supply is what you hear. Another part called the HV diode may also have shorted, but the magnetron is more common.

A bad magnetron can be replaced, but it's a costly part. And microwave service should be left to a professional, because there are dangerous voltages under the cover and a chance of microwave leakage if repairs aren't done correctly. Between the part and labor costs, it might be more economical to replace the oven. Let a qualified servicer give you a repair estimate and then decide.

Jan 09, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Boiling waer under micro wave lots of steam into micro wave, turn on micro wave ,pop noise like glass miro wave comes on louder hum than normal no heat


Q - The microwave display counts down and the inside light is on,  but nothing is heating and the fan is not running.
A - This most commonly is a bad door switch, other possible problems are a faulty relay or solder joint on the power module, but a bad door switch is most common.
 Q - My microwave is running and sounds like it is working but will not heat up anything.
A - Many thing can do this but, common things are....loose high voltage wire.....poor solder joint on board.....magnetron.....power relay.....
Q - The microwave makes a loud "hum or buzz" noise but will not heat up the food?
A - 9 times out of 10 this is usually this is a bad magnetron, the other time is sometimes a bad high voltage diode. See components section.

Mar 03, 2009 | Amana Radarange Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE Profile JE1660GB01 magnetron failure?


It pass the resistance tests and still be bad, and I suspect it is.

I would also suggest that you check the high voltage diode to be sure it's not shorted.

If the filament voltage and high voltage are both present at the magnetron terminals, and not loaded down, but there is no heat, then it's the magnetron.

As a pro with over 20 years of expereince, I have always measured the high votlage, but I will never recommend it to a non-professional. Without the right equipment and procedure, you and your equipment can be "fried". No kidding.

Here are some good links to safety & troubleshooting:

http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/cap_test.html
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/diode.html
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/mag_test.html
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/xformer.html

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Dec 17, 2007 | GE JE1660 Microwave Oven

3 Answers

Loud humming/no heating


Word has it that many of these models have a defect which causes the microwave energy to be reflected back to the magnetron, causing damage to the magnetron, and eventually damaging the high-voltage diode too. Also, the fuse or the magnetron theral cutout / thermostat can eventually blow, too. There is a replacement magnetron and stirrer kit available. I would definitely call the GE Answer Center at 800-626-2005 about this. It's not considered a recall, but a "campaign". They may pick up part of the cost. It's not cheap.

Dec 31, 2006 | GE JVM1440 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Whirlpool MH7140XF Microwave Oven Logo

495 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Whirlpool Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9174 Answers

Steve Allison
Steve Allison

Level 3 Expert

5569 Answers

Jaime Hernandez

Level 3 Expert

2337 Answers

Are you a Whirlpool Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...