- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
That is the file that your computer looks for to Boot up the operating system software. Either your OS (operating software) is corrupted or your hard disk drive might be defective. Here is a link to your model: ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-740_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf Select the appropriate model and then view diagnostics or troubleshooting links to see if your hard drive is bad. If the diags pass on the hard drive test, then you will need to reload software.
If you have your operating system disk you may need to boot the comp from the cd..here you can select "repair" to repair the operating system...you may need to get into the bios to allow the computer to boot from the cd...should be f1 or f2...once in bios goto boot order and select cd rom as first boot device
Normally the operating system CD is included on the shipment or came with the system.If you dont have the OSCD please follow the steps below.
1. Please call the Dell Tech support by dialing the Tech support contact you can find it manual of the PC
2. You can request from them the Operating System disc they normally give for free if it is only the first time their customer request the item. they will send it to your preferred address.
3. After you received the CD.Please call them back again for further instruction on how to re-install the operating system (XP) on your PC.They will also help you about the missing drivers,drivers that needs update.Please be remind that not all drivers can be downloaded from the internet.Most PC manufacturer has a separate CD for the drivers and do not worry you can also request the CD driver from DELL.Thank you
recovery disk will not work in this case. wat u need to do is to repair ur operating system. plz try repairing ur operating system with a bootable cd because the missing file is a system file that supports the operating system. hope this solves your problem