Question about Gateway MX6438 Notebook
Cannot install audio connexant driver with gateway MX6436.
HA! Gateway is the WORST! They tell you to download the drivers for your notebook...they install and then code 10!!!!
I'll cut to the chase with the solution, but I could go on for HOURS about how bad they are! I wish we could all BILL them for our time and frustration! If this solution helps you, think about making a donation to our dog rescue (link below).
I took my n/b to the Geek Squad...after 3 hours they still did not have the sound fixed!!!
For people having the same audio problem (Conexant Ac-Link Audio Drivers, Realtek) here is the fix.
“1. Install Realtek Audio driver (WDM_A380 or WDM_A381, doesn’t matter).
3. Download and try to install the Conexant AC 97 audio driver. You can get the one from Gateway (D00245-001-001 driver), or any other manufacturer that uses this chip in the notebook. Pay attention to where it stores the files. For instance the Gateway driver uncompresses to c:\cabs\directory name.
4. Go to device manager, find the Realtek AC 97 audio item under “Sound, video, and game controllers”. Right click on it and select UPDATE DRIVER
5. Select NO if it asks to connect to Windows Update, click NEXT
6. Select “Install from a list of specific location” and click NEXT
7. Select “Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install” and click NEXT
8. DE-select “Show compatible Hardware”. CONEXANT should show up under manufacturer since you tried to install the driver earlier.
9. Click on CONEXANT on the left, then select “Conexant AC-Link Audio” on the right and click NEXTThe driver will install. It may ask you for the location of some files, point it to the directory the Conexant driver uncompressed to in step 3.
Reboot, and you should have working audio!”
Posted on Apr 29, 2008
It may not be the right driver. Do you have audio now? If not, have a look on the Gateway site. There may be a fix already posted. If you want to know what audio hardware you have, go to control panel and then sounds audio devices. Scroll through the list. Then, go to either Gateway's site or the manufacturer of the audio chip. They'll fix you right up.
Posted on Dec 03, 2007
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 22, 2010 | Compaq Presario M2000 Notebook
Jun 04, 2010 | Gateway MX6436 Notebook
Feb 01, 2010 | Gateway MX6436 Notebook
Dec 08, 2009 | Gateway MX6436 Notebook
Nov 16, 2009 | Gateway MX6438 Notebook
Jun 27, 2009 | Compaq Presario 700 470024-192 Notebook
May 28, 2009 | Gateway MX6436 Notebook
Apr 02, 2009 | Gateway MX6438 Notebook
Mar 31, 2009 | Gateway MX6438 Notebook
2,565 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: