Question about GE JVM1650 1000 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Hole in plastic on inside of door

I got an arch inside of the microwave oven due to accidentally having aluminum foil on some food. The arch from the foil to the metal grill in the door created a small hole in the plastic on the inside of the door. The metal grill was unaffected. Is this oven safe to use as such? Is there a safe substance to repair the small hole on the plastic inside the door? Because of the age GE has no replacement parts. The microwave is a GE JVM 150001. I listed the closest thing to it on the pop down menu. Thanks.

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.

    New Friend:

    An expert that has 1 follower.

  • Contributor
  • 67 Answers
Re: Hole in plastic on inside of door

Check the conductivity of the plastic with an ohmmeter by placing the probes an inch apart on the plastic surface. If the resistance is large or infinity, the plastic probably performs no role in stopping the microwave radiation. If so, any epoxy probably can be used to close the hole safely. Make sure you don't use too much and if possible place tape over the repair and orient the microwave so the epoxy presses against the tape while drying to prevent it from oozing into any door hinge/close mechanism. Otherwise, a piece of microwave door glass from a broken unit can ge glued over the hole and should stop the radiation. You can check for leakage with test units but be very carefuly anyway.

Posted on Nov 30, 2007

Add Your Answer

0 characters

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add


3 Points

Related Questions:

1 Answer

My LG-MS-2022G is coming on but will not warm the food, what should I do?

It's my understanding that aluminum foil can reflect the RF energy back into the magnetron and causing it to overload and fail. If the oven turns on but does not heat the food, you can just about bet the magnetron is shot.

Apr 14, 2014 | LG Microwave Ovens


What to do when the microwave is arching.

If your microwave cavity is crossed by luminous discharges of current , and you see flashing arches of current from the magnetron area to other areas of the microwave oven cavity, then we commonly say that the microwave is arching.

The first thing to do in this case is disconnecting power immediately, and trying to remove the cause of arching if possible.

Arching will damage the microwave oven, if it goes on for enough time.
Any metal conductive object, such as a spoon or a fork will cause arching if left inside the oven when the microwave device (the magnetron) is operating.
Ensure that there is no metal object inside, while the appliance is operating.
Some vegetable with an high amount of metal , and some other ingredient, like bacon , are known to cause arching in sporadic cases.
In that case add a little water to the food in the oven and try again.

Sometimes recycled paper, or use of containers that are not for microwave can also cause arching. In that case use a different container, or paper.
If there is arching and bad burnt-plastic-like smell with any food being cooked, that means that there is a major problem, and that if the oven is used in this condition, you may get further damage to the appliance. In some case there may also be safety concerns.

As said, you get arching inside microwave when inside the cavity there is a strongly conductive object, such as a metal object or carbon residue.
You also get arching when the oven cavity is damaged.
In this last case the cavity may have lost insulation, and it is better having the oven repaired by a technician, that will also conduct a radiation leak test on the appliance to prove its safety.

To attempt fixing the problem by yourself , you can do the following:

Disconnect power cord.

Check inside the oven cavity, ensure that there is no foreign object inside (such as a small screw). Check also under the turntable.

Check that the light and the magnetron covers are well in place.

Clean the cavity thoroughly, clean also the lamp enclosure if this can be accessed. Carbon residue from food may be causing the arching.

If after cleaning the arching is still there, that means that the cavity is damaged. In that case better calling a technician.
A damaged microwave may loose insulation , and this may be very dangerous for health.

If you want to contact a technician, the best thing to do is ringing the phone number listed on the appliance owners manual.


on Feb 06, 2010 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Would like to know how to use the Inverter. Is it for baking & defrosting? Have never used one before and do not have a manual.

Hi ifcope2000,

The inverter in your oven is for defrosting. It works on the basis of weight of the food to be defrost. To use the inverter follow the following steps.

First place the food on the microwave dish and then close the door.
Now press Inverter Turbo Defrost.
Enter the weight of the food using the number pads.
Press Start.Defrosting will start. The time will count down. Larger weight foods will cause a signal
midway through defrosting. If 2 beeps sound, turn over, rearrange foods or shield with aluminum


Mar 13, 2011 | Panasonic Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I covered the plate with 'heavy duty aluminum foil' thinking it was safe for for microwave use, then I saw a sparkle inside while turning. I stopped it, took off the aluminum cover, turned the microwave...

The food is safe as long as the food has not got oxidized aluminium on it.
Microwave energy is very high and will melt metals!
As long as it is not arcing any more there should be no problem.

Jan 03, 2011 | LG Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Aluminum foil was accidentally put in microwave. Microwave turns on as usual but now does not heat foods.

Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with yourMicrowave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips

heatman101 ..

Oct 25, 2010 | LG Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

I put a metal pan with food inside my microwave oven. I heard a popping sound and there are now two tiny black marks pitted into the glass on the door. I can feel the two pitted marks from both inside...

Yes it is safe to continue using the Microwave as long as the integrity of the glass is not compromised and the pitted marks do not exceed 1/4 inch. The RFwave generated by the magnetron is a pretty wide RF wave beam.

If your really concerned you can take the unit to any appliance service center and ask that they perform an RF leakage test. There is really no other way to know if your leakage is within acceptable limits. I can tell you from personal experience that the ony microwave I ever saw demonstrated excessive leakage had either been dropped and had hinge or latch damage.

If your really worried about it and can not get to a service center you can do this test:
- Wrap a tall empty glass with a sheet of aluminum foil and place it about 3 inches away from the microwave in front of the area you where noticed the pitting.
- Run the microwave with a GLASS filled with water of equal size for 1 minute.
- Stand back 3 to 4 feet and watch for any signs of a spark on the aluminum foil.
- As soon as the microwave shuts off check the dry foil wrapped glass for any signs of heat.

(No heat.... no problem. Sparks or Heat = repair time.)

Thanks for choosing FixYa.


Sep 21, 2010 | Sharp R-1480 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave seems to operate normally but does not heat food

Test it. Put a bowl of water in the microwave and place a small (1 or 2 sq inches) piece of aluminum fold next to it. Power the microwave on for 2 or 3 seconds. If the foil sparks, the oven is creating microwaves and should be functioning correctly. If nothing happens to the foil, then you have no microwaves being generated by the klystron tube.

You can spend 80 to 150 dollars to have the oven checked and repaired or you can find another on Craig's List in your community for less than 100 dollars. Alternately, you can replace with a new one for whatever you are able to spend (from 95 to 600 dollars).

Sep 20, 2009 | Maytag MMV4205 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

When we first turn on the microwave there is like a mini-explosion and a fiery spark, but after that the microwave goes through its cycle and cooks the food. But we are afraid to try it again.

pls do not use any aluminum or metal material INSIDE the microwave, this can cause the problem

I assumed, but pls consider the ff info...

Be sure to use nonmetal utensils in the microwave.

For microwave cooking, cut meats and vegetables in uniform sizes to make sure that they cook evenly.

Paper plates, cups, and napkins can be used in the microwave. But don't use foil-lined paper products, paper towels that include nylon or synthetic fibers, or newspaper.
When using plastic roasting or cooking bags in the microwave, discard the wire twist tie and use a plastic fastener or a piece of string instead.

To ensure that food cooks fully and evenly in the microwave oven, stir food and turn dishes periodically while they're cooking.

Jul 25, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE JVM1650 1000 Watts Microwave Oven Logo

Related Topics:

1,012 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8795 Answers


Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1059 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides