Question about HP LaserJet 4 plus Printer

2 Answers

Grey lines on printout

My HP Laserjet 4+ prints with grey lines. What is the problem?

Posted by on

  • 2 more comments 
  • SayG Nov 27, 2007

    I have FixYa! Just throw the cartrisge and put in a new one. Will only use OEM next time. Or do you have any suggestion on a good quality non-OEM?

  • Anonymous Dec 24, 2007

    I have a thick gray line that prints verticall down the entire left side of whatever I print out. I am using an OEM cartridge. This happened a few months ago and I wiped down the rollers and the cartridge opening and if fixed the problem. But that is not working this time.



    If anybody has help for this, please send a copy of what you write to me at www.mreed.com



    Thanks

  • chelemcc Feb 22, 2008

    I, too, have grey vertical lines/bands appearing behind the document on the printed paper. I cleaned the rollers as best I could and saw little, if not any, improvement at all. Any suggestions?



    Thank you in advance!

  • peterosem May 22, 2008

    grey lines down the center of the page

×

Ad

2 Answers

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer

I am using an HP LaserJet 4 and there is a little brush attached to the left side of the printer. I used that to clean the little "teeth" mechanism behind the sponge roller. I also cleaned the sponge roller and got rid of the gray lines for now.

Posted on May 16, 2008

Ad
  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • HP Master
  • 1,113 Answers

90% chance its the Cartridge or 10 % chance its the fuser

Posted on Nov 27, 2007

  • Soulvisitor
    Soulvisitor Nov 27, 2007

    No such thing as a good quality non OEM.. unless the person you buy them off will fix your problems that they cause.



    Thankyou for rating, so many don't (I have 200 unrated solutions)

  • Soulvisitor
    Soulvisitor Nov 27, 2007

    was rated fixya now is rated helpful?

×

Ad

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

How to remove gray shadings in the background of my printouts for my printer hp color laserjet 5550?


Grey shading likely due to either bad black cartridge. Try a different cartridge first thing. After that, print a PQ quality test page from the control panel to see if they defect shows on all pages. If it does then you may have a bad transfer belt.

Aug 24, 2016 | HP LaserJet 5550 Printer

1 Answer

HP m410n laserjet pro banding gray vertical lines


the two places to look is transfer roller and the fuser unnit.
i think there is a problem with the transfer roller it is under the toner and it needs to be spring loaded. The paper passes between the toner an the transfer roller to charge the paper en let the toner stick to the paper and if it doesn't make correct contact then it wont work

Dec 26, 2013 | HP LaserJet Office Equipment & Supplies

1 Answer

HOW TO INCREASE DARKNESS IN HP 4300


1. If you are printing using postscript driver, try using PCL6 - printout would be darker for grey scaled items.

2. Print in lower resolution 600dpi or 300dpi, printouts would be darker.

3. Try printing all characters as black


You can adjust darkness at the printer using the console menu.
In the Configuration Menu ' Print Quality sub Menu , there is a parameter called Tonor Density. Factory Default is 3. Set to 4 or 5 to increase darkness..

Sep 27, 2013 | Office Equipment & Supplies

1 Answer

Hp1020 printing grey backgroud


Hello;
The most common reason that laserjet's get grey background print-outs is that the toner cartridge's drum has gone bad. I have seen it many, many times on new and old cartridges and the only way to fix it is to buy a new toner cartridge. Sorry for the bad news.
Good Luck!
Rich Lilja

Oct 27, 2012 | HP LaserJet 4 plus Printer

1 Answer

Towards right hand side of printout, characters ap...


If you are getting a "shadow" behind the text or image it is probably your fuser that is causing the problem. Anytime you see a double image or the print is smearing the fuser (aka fixing assembly) is to blame. You can troubleshoot the problem to see for sure before calling out a technician. Send a one page test print job to the printer. Open the rear "output" tray so that the print job exits the rear of the printer. Watch the paper as it is pulled into the machine. When you see the leading edge of the print exiting the printer open up the front door of the printer. This will of course cause the machine to jam up but its worth it. Carefully remove the toner cartridge. Look at the print on the page still inside the machine. Do you see the same grey image? If not then the problem is the fuser. If you do see the grey image then the problem is the toner cartridge. Stopping the print job in the middle of the printer like that allows you to see what the image looks like before it goes into the fuser. If the fuser is the problem call a tech. It is about a $100 - 150 repair for the fuser depending on the labor rates where you live.

May 20, 2010 | HP LaserJet 1150 Printer

1 Answer

HP 2600n grey background


Most Original cartridges are starter cartridges that hold only 1/3-3/4 ink. Drum maybe defective, and this usually causes the grey or black in your printing. Cartridges may need replacement along with the drum. Hopefully this helps

Aug 13, 2009 | HP Color LaserJet 2600n Printer

1 Answer

HP LaserJet 2430 prints vertical grey bands


It is a bad Toner Cartridge or Fuser. Most likey a bad toner cart.

Mar 07, 2009 | HP LaserJet 2430n Printer

1 Answer

My pages have grey vertial stripes which don't go when we clean


Have it cleaned it souns like it has gotton ink on the feed rooler.
oldgrizzly

Nov 16, 2008 | HP LaserJet 4 plus Printer

Not finding what you are looking for?
HP LaserJet 4 plus Printer Logo

Related Topics:

289 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top HP Office Equipment & Supplies Experts

Doctor PC
Doctor PC

Level 3 Expert

7733 Answers

Ben Johnson

Level 3 Expert

685 Answers

mukhtar21 shaikh
mukhtar21 shaikh

Level 3 Expert

2022 Answers

Are you a HP Office Equipment and Supply Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...