Question about GE Microwave Ovens
Same as others. Daughter was cooking popcorn and it started throwing sparks out the right side. What is causing this?
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: microwave oven by ultrex
The sparking is usually due to accumulated grease or food particles.
If there is any chipping, charring or rust, it will have to be sanded smooth and clean.
Then you can apply some high-temperature appliance paint, available from places like Wal-Mart, Lowe's or Builder's Square.
Sparking is most likely to occur when cooking small items or low-moisture foods like popcorn.
I always recommend that folks put food off-center on the turntable to assure more even heating and to protect the turntable glass.
We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Mar 10, 2008
The problem you are having is that the magnetron that does the heating is shorting out and it needs to be replaced before it damages the inside covering of the microwave. www.mwoparts.com is a good source for magnetrons or other similar sites. To replace is easy enough. Taking the cover off with the power off, you will find it behind and on the top right side of the control panel. It is held in place normally with just 4 screws and two wires with terminals attached to it. So removing and replacing is pretty straightforward. Just be sure all the power is off until you have everything back in place. Good luck.
Posted on Jan 23, 2009
SOURCE: Sparks ae flying in my microwave
GE in essence says it is unrepareable and insafe. I suggest that would be saying it is trash.I don't know what that carboard is, possibly indulation? Ot may have /be a a oiece oce of laminated metal like some paper plates have..Not replaceable is a poor answer. Call them back and make a fuss. If it's not too far over warranty, they may work with you to shut you up.. oops, sorry, to pacify you.
:-) Good luck.
Posted on May 28, 2009
1. Remove the plate and runner and check for metal contamination like little bits of foil.
Failing that it means that the magnetron in the microwave is dieing and it should not be used.
Posted on Jun 23, 2010
I had the same problem with my microwave. There is a cover on the inside of the microwave called a "wave guide cover" which can cause the symptoms you described. It can be caused by grease or debris accumulating around or on the cover. Mine actually began to smoke and appeared burned in the top corner. It is very easy to remove and replace, and is pretty inexpensive and can probably be purchased online. They are model specific, so be sure to purchase the correct one for your unit.
Posted on Sep 10, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 13, 2012 | Microwave Ovens
Nov 14, 2017 | Microwave Ovens
Mar 28, 2010 | Sharp R-1405 / R-140 Microwave Oven
May 28, 2009 | General Electric Microwave Oven
Apr 01, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Mar 09, 2008 | Microwave Ovens
Dec 19, 2007 | Kenmore 80412 Microwave Oven
May 23, 2018 | GE Microwave Ovens
62 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!