Question about Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Whirlpool model GT1196 SHS blew internal fuse while cooking baked potatoes. Replaced fuse and everything powered on. When I tried to heat a cup of water to test the micro it started then blew the fuse within a second. Any ideas what to check next??

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 999 Answers

The HV capacitor or Diode. In rare cases the mag could be shorted. This is a dangerous area to work in for the untrained. Eric

Posted on Aug 08, 2009

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

2 Answers

What causes microwave to blow new fuse?


The only thing inside a microwave oven that draws enough current to blow a fuse is the magnetron that generates the microwaves to provide the cooking power. Based on the age of the unit (approx 15 years) it is most likely best to just replace it as repairs at that level are not cost effective. Newer units cook better and faster using less power these days.

Jul 02, 2015 | Sharp Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

While baking a sweet potato, the potato exploded and caught on fire. The microwave no longer works.a fire bro


I haven't heard of such a thing. You must have cooked it until there was no moisture left in the potato. That would also account for the failure of the oven. It would be the same as no load in the oven.
A thermal protect part is your current problem.

Apr 02, 2014 | GE SpaceMaker Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

GE microwave not heating, sensor error.


first suspect is the inverter board (power) and magnatron a distant second----in either case the part involved unless an expensive unit is pricey.

Aug 26, 2012 | GE SpaceMaker Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Whirlpool Microwave MH6700xW-0 Blows internal fuses regulary


Assuming your power line voltage is okay, it would not surprise me that after 27 years, your high voltage capacitor is drying out and increasing its capacitance. This will cause variance in the high voltage output, which can stress the magnetron and increase current consumption.

You can order Whirlpool parts my model number here.
http://tinyurl.com/gv383

For more free DIY and other help & advice, feel free to contact me via my site.

William E. Miller, AS-EET
http://www.microwavecontrol.com
Microwave Oven Control Panel Repair Nationwide
"Recycling by repairing since 1982"

Mar 16, 2017 | Whirlpool Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

SET TIMER FOR 20 MINUTES FOR BAKED POTATOE.. CAME BACK AND FOUND POTATOES CHARCOALED. SMOKE AND SINGED INSIDE. MICROWAVE WILL NOT COME ON. CHECKED CIRCUIT BREAKER. POWER TO UNIT.


That was a very long duration to have set for potatoes. It would have made the magnetron burnt by exeeding the limit and findinf there was no conductive medium by moisture , it has ended up burning the magnetron.
First of all clean up the inside and clean up the point of the magnetron beam.Now confirm on the inside to be totally dry.
Disconnect power and check inside for break of fuse to the magnetron.If the microwave does not heat on testing with a cup of water , then it is possible that the magnetron is cooked.
Confirm the cost for the unit to decide on replacement.
Hope this helps.

Aug 21, 2010 | LG LMV1630 Convection/Microwave Oven

2 Answers

I was cooking 4 potatoes for 14 minutes then put in frozen corn, started the microwave oven again and everything shut down.is there an internal fuse or breaker? or is it time for a new one.


Many of these ovens have either a humidity sensor or oven cavity sensor that will shut the oven down if the internal oven cavity humidity or temperature exceed a certain level. Baked potatoes are often a culprit as they retain a good amount of heat and generate humidity when they cook. In most cases, allowing the oven to cool down with the door open for about half an hour will restore operation.

However, there is also a thermal cut-out (TCO) on some models that will trip if the internal temperature of the oven cavity gets too hot. If the TCO trips, it must be replaced.

Since you posted no Brand Name of Model Number, I do not know how your oven is configured. If you post back with this information, I can verify and may be able to diagnose a cause of your problem.

Sep 16, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

Fuse blows on microwave switch on


one of three things shorted could cause this: H.V. diode,capacitor,or the magnetron tube, take screw driver and short terminals on capacitor before touching anything inside the case, then chk resistance on capacitor should show infinite after needle settles, diode should show hi resistance one way and a lower resistance in the other direction(use the RX100 scale not the RX1) on both parts diode should not show very low resistance or it could be leaking,mag is a different story,it can be chk'd but in a different way

Jul 24, 2009 | Panasonic NN-H275 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I bought a ge microwave 5/20/08. I have used it several times and it has worked well. Today I was cooking baked potatoes. I usually do them 1 by 1 and then put them in the oven for a crip skin. After...


It should default to the high power level without your having to select that.

But if you think it may have a problem, you could unplug it for a few minutes then plug it back in and try again.

After that, if it's not acting as it should according to the owner's manual, it may need service.

If so, since it's under warranty, I would let GE fix it.GE Customer Service is online here.

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

May 25, 2008 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Blows internal fuses after replacing


Did you use correct fuse??? REMEMBER MICROWAVES CAN KILL EVEN WHEN UNPLUGGED
grandadfixer

Apr 30, 2008 | GE JVM1850 1000 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GH7145XFB microwave hood


There is an internal fuse, and also a couple of thermostats, and I would be suspicious of the thermostat on or near the magnetron.

If you or a friend decide to work on it, we have *critical* safety, disassembly, and troubleshooting info at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383

There should also be a very helpful "mini-manual" hidden inside the unit behind the control panel. It helps with troubleshooting.

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Dec 14, 2007 | Whirlpool GH7145XF Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

87 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9047 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

225 Answers

yadayada
yadayada

Level 3 Expert

75744 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...