An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: will not work
A microwave can be dead for many reasons.
If it goes dead for a while during or after cooking then comes back on, the magnetron is probably overheating and causing the thermostat to open. When it cools, it closes the circuit and allows power through again.
If it's intermittent or random, it may be a bad connection, usually on the control board or fuse holder.
If it went dead almost immediately after pressing the Start pad, that's usually a shorted high-voltage capacitor.
If it went dead a few seconds after pressing the Start pad, that's usually a failing high-voltage transformer.
If the fuse is good, it may be an open thermostat or thermal cutout on or near the magnetron or on top of the cavity / body of the oven.
If you or a friend decide to look into it, we have critical safety information and disassembly information at our site, linked here on Fixya: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
Please write back with more details if you need further help.
We appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
yes there is a fuse behind the control panel area. where the cord goes inside the unit there is a fuse bloack and a 20 amp fuse ...may have lucked out and just need to replace fuse...unfortunately you have to do some disassembly to get to it ...good luck to you
Yes there is a fuse, and this is fairly common, however I always recommend a service technician do this repair, unless you are very comfortable with electricity. The microwave oven is very dangerous to work on if it is plugged in, never do this. Unplugged there is a capacitor that can still give a good shock. This capacitor needs to be discharged before replacing the fuse. Good Luck, Appliance Specialists
Everything working is a real good sign. Most likely all thats wrong with your unit is a blown fuse. Go to http://www.partselect.com/MultiModels.aspx?ModelNum=kcms145j&SearchTerm=fuse&RefineSearch=0 and you will find the fuse. It's behind the touch pad with most all the other workings. Very easy to replace and cost only $11.76. It looks like an old round glass car fuse but it's made just for micro waves. It's most likely a 20 amp fuse. To get to it, take all the screws out from the back that hols the case on. once you have removed the case you will be able to locate the fuse. Good luck.
Check the fuse inside the microwave. Unplug the power, remove the case screws on the back of the main case and slide the case toward the back. Remove the outer case and look for a fuse that looks simular to an old automotive fuse, usually near or just above the control panel. Check the fuse to see if it is good, if not replace with the same and reassemble reversing method used to access the fuse. Note: automotive fuses will not work. A replacement will be available at The Shack or a local appliance parts store.
suspect high tension diode or bleed diode faulty. easy to replace but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BE CAREFUL. THERE ARE VERY HIGH VOLTAGES PRESENT IN A MICROWAVE. YOU MUST SHORT CIRCUIT THE CAPACITOR WITH A GOOD QUALITY SCREWDRIVER IE GOOD INSULATION. VOLTAGE CAN BE UP TO 1500 VOLTS AND IT CAN KILL.
1. Have you tested the outlet by plugging in something else and confirming that the outlet is good? If another device doesn't work in the outlet, then you have a bad fuse or breaker that powers that circuit in the house.
2. If power is OK, you probably have a bad fuse in the oven. You'll need to unplug the oven and remove the outside cover. Replace the fuse with the EXACT same rating of fuse of the original.
Please get back to me and let me know what you find.