Question about Plumbing

1 Answer

8 inch faucet replaced valve stem, does not flow

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Expert
  • 297 Answers

You may have installed the valve stem in backwards,reverse it,this may fix your problem

Posted on Jul 29, 2009


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

The tub faucet in my bathroom appears to be inching forward over time. It's an older house and when I moved in, it wasn't completely flush against the tile. Over the past few months I've noticed more...

You may be gradually unscrewing the valve stem whenever you open the faucet. It may pop suddenly leaving you with full water flow and no way to shut it off. If you have access behind the plumbing, check for some structural reason for the gap.

Jan 28, 2015 | Moen Plumbing

1 Answer

I replaced a moen 1222 valve stem becasue i had just a trickle of water. I go the new stem in ok, but still no water. I have the hot water heater diconnected on the water inlet, but the out let is still...

With posi-temp cartridges, if one supply of water, hot or cold, is interrupted, the cartridge automatically restricts the flow of the other water source. This is to prevent you from getting scalded if the pressure on the cold side drops because of a toilet being flushed or any other uses of cold water. The cartridge will only allow cold water to flow through if there is hot water to balance it out. If you restore hot water to the faucet, it will operate properly.

Aug 04, 2017 | Moen 2919 Chateau Two Handle Tub and...

1 Answer

Bathroom faucet is dripping constantly....

If this was a totally new installation, there is debris from the water lines. If you disassemble the unit, just crack the 2 supply lines just enough to get water flowing with valves removed, it should clear the debris in a few seconds. You may want to close the sink drain in the event any small parts dislodge. If it is a chunk of teflon tape, or small streamer it can get caught inside the stem.

Then just inspect each stem closely for damage or debris that has hooked a seal and remove it or repair it as needed and reinstall.

They are factory tested so any leaks are the result of debrs from your plumbing lines. It is a common occurance. It is not always possible to "police" every bit of plastic or copper that may be created in the process of a faucet installation.

Jan 17, 2012 | Moen Bathroom Sink Faucet - 4-inch...

1 Answer

We installed the tub faucet and the hot water does not stop dripping

it is due to the rubber seals on back of valve stems, they are not seating right to stop complete flow of water. just remove stem and replace. if it still leaks, the valve seat may need be replaced. most just turn out to replace ( with a square tool ) found at most hardware stores etc. good-day !

Aug 26, 2011 | Banner Plumbing

1 Answer

Kitchen taps drip and leak.I do not want to replace with new but would like to sort these problems.

dependent on the type of faucet, you need to replace (a) the washers, (b.) the spring and seals or (c.) the gasket. They all serve the same purpose. 1. turn off the water supply to the faucet. 2. double handle? (a)remove the center cap (b) then remove the screw holding the handle down (c)next unscrew the valve stem retaining nut (normally it is the one right above the faucet body). (d) pull the valve stem out, if there is a small rubber piece held down by screw remove the screw, replace the washer. if there is a rubber gasket wrapped around the stem, remove and replace it, if nothing is on the stem look into the faucet body you should see 1 or 2 small rubber pieces these are the seals the springs are right below the seals. Remove and replace springs and seals. 3. single handle? remove the handle retaining screw, normally covered by hot/cold indicator symbol, unscrew valve stem retaining nut, pull the valve stem and replace either the gasket or springs and seals.

Aug 28, 2009 | Home

1 Answer

My bathroom faucet wont turn off. I can turn the handle but the water still comes out. the faucet has 2 handles

Hi, W/D here.
You'll need to shut the water off under the sink. Usually when the water won't shut off, the washer (or cartridge) is damaged or loose. With the water shut off, open the valve. Remove the handle and trim piece that surrounds the stem. With a wrench or socket, remove the valve cartridge from the body. The part that you need to unscrew isn't the first nut that you see when you look down the shaft, but rather, the ut just past that. The first nut is the packing gland adjustment, the second holds the two halves of the valve together. Usually, it isn't hard to get these apart. Pull the part out of the valve body and check the washer at the base of the stem. It is probably loose. Tighten it back down, or if it is damaged, replace it. While the valve is apart, stick your little finger in the valve hole and feel the valve seat. It should feel smooth and free of nicks and grooves. Should you need any parts, you can take your old parts with you when you go to the hardware store, and match them up. If the seat is damaged, you may need a 'seat removal tool' also available at the hardware store. A washer is the easiest repair. If the damage is much worse that thet, consider a repair kit. I will have the upper valve assembly that you pulled out, washer and replacement seat, along with the gaskets.
Reinstall your valve, making sure that the stem is backed out as if full open. If you put the valve assembly together with the valve stem 'closed', you can damage the washer. Once all back together, adjust your packing gland. It should be adjusted to be just tight enough to keep water from flowing out alongside the valve stem without being difficult to operate. Reassemble the trim, replace the handle. Close the faucet valve and open the water supply valve. That should do it.
Best regards, --W/D-- please feel free to rate this solution -- thanx!

Aug 04, 2009 | Price Pfister Pfister Marielle Oil Bronze...

1 Answer

Moen Kingsley roman tub- no/slow hot water flow

sounds like you may have a little debri on hot side stem or kinked hose between valve and spout turn off water to house remove handle pull bonnet and remove stem turn water back on with stem removed see how water flow is be careful turning water on you could make a mess i am assuming the low pressure is in shower only

Apr 13, 2009 | Danze D302521 Antioch Roman Tub Faucet...

2 Answers

Water suddenly stopped flowing from faucet.

your diverter valve is shot it is located at the base of your faucet turn off water remove stem there is a valve in the base usually you can contact deltas web site and they will send one no charge there products usually carry life time replacement pretty easy to replace take rim ring off first then loosen retainer ring and pull up on stem you might have to work the stem alittle bit to remove good luck

Apr 06, 2009 | Plumbing

2 Answers

How do I, myself, fix a faucet leak?

Faucets in general operate either with a one handle valve stem or valve stems that uses small pieces of rubber to precent the water flow. In a single handle model this is usually caused by mineral deposits building up and the valve not being able to fully restrict the flow of water. The fix here is usually a new stem. On models that use a two handle system and do have replaceable valve stems one must get a repacement seat from a hadware store and reinstall the stem. In extreme cases the valve body may need to be ground internally and will require a professional. If you do not a have replaceable stems than the only alternative is a new faucet. I hope this assists you and thanks for using Fix Ya.

Oct 29, 2008 | Plumbing

Not finding what you are looking for?
Plumbing Logo

Related Topics:

116 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Plumbing Experts

Brad Brown

Level 3 Expert

16994 Answers

Paul Carew

Level 3 Expert

3239 Answers

Tom Chichester

Level 3 Expert

41919 Answers

Are you a Plumbing Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides