Question about Panasonic Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Shuts off, burning electrical smell. - Panasonic Microwave Ovens

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.

  • Master
  • 1,952 Answers

You could have a bad capacitor or diode. If the cap is open or the diode is closed or both, then this could be the problem. You should get a reading on the cap but not on the diode. If the diode fails then you will get a reading. The capacitor stores the energy being produced by the transformer while the diode makes and breaks that connection about a billion times per second. This causes the magnetron to agitate the molecules on whatever food or bev you have in the oven. The constant agitation produces friction, friction produces heat.

Plus the back is on with some special screw. Looks like a star screw hole with a center pin to keep out anything but a special bit.

A hollow point star drive is what you need for them screws.
Getting a reading is another way of checking to see if we have an open circuit. Electricity cannot travel along an open circuit and therefore the appliance won't heat. This diode and this capacitor are 2 of the toughest stumpers known to mankind when comes to testing them. The capacitor could have simply seperated internally and died (I think that is the problem by the way) But the diode may be faulty as well. If the capacitor was shorted then the fuse would be blown. But the microwave runs so it is probably open. Their are several hi limit fuses built into this microwave beyond the power supply. One is hidden way on the backside of the cabinet follow the wires to it. If it is open then the mag(magnetron) aint getting power. The Mag has a fuse mounted on it as well. If the mag itself is open ther will be no heat. Look at the tower on the mag. If it has a hole in it then it is the mag. If the leads to the magnetron are shorted to the mag then it won't heat but the fuse will blow. So it probably AIN'T the mag. Take a note of how the cabinet screws come out. Put the long one in the same hole when putting the case back on or it won't run. These tricky dudes put in a switch which gets pushed against by a long screw and it is all hidden

Posted on Jul 26, 2009

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Burning smell or smell stuck in the vent?


sweet smell from an electrical appliance is ozone cause fir high voltage discharge ( like the sweet smelling air after a lightning strike
take it in for a proper diagnosis

May 31, 2017 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Electrical burning smell


It is hard to tell what is burning, take it to the repair shop

Mar 12, 2013 | Oster OGG61403 Microwave Oven

2 Answers

MIcrowave emits an electrical smell while cooking. It still cooks, but has started emitting an odor recently when in use.


Is the smell ionized (the outside smell of a cold winter morning air) or more of an electronic component burning??? if it's more of an ionized smell it could be normal, (if the smell is strong) it could be a leaking high voltage cable (electric arching) bad insulator, if it's more of an electronic component burning smell, it could be a overheating component, in both cases you should have it checked by a professional technician...

Cheers!

Jun 25, 2011 | Sharp KB-6024MS Stainless Steel 1000 Watts...

1 Answer

Micro GE Spacemaker XL1400 Sunday I was warming up soup for three minutes when ready open door and I heard a click, micro shut down I tested the power outlet with the blender and It work An hour later the...


IF YOU SMELLED BURNING TAHTS BAD, IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR MAG TUBE WENT OUT (ITS WHAT MAKES THE MICROWAVES) iT WILL BE CHEAPER TO REPLACE IT, NEW UNIT STARTING FROM $115 FOR THE SAME MODEL

Jun 07, 2010 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Not heating. Electrical burn smell.


Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with yourMicrowave Oven....

Basic Microwave Oven TroubleshootingTips

heatman101][[\\[]

May 19, 2010 | GE JVM1440 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Panasonic microwae h964bf comes on for 3to 4 secs shuts down and you can smell electrical


your magnetron is bad and it burned the diodes on the inverter board. not worth repairing it

Feb 05, 2010 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Daewoo kor-861h, electrical smell and will not heat.


Turn if off, and leave it alone, remove it, if you can remove the unit, take it in for service, something is wrong if you smell electrical, most people for some reason can smell and identify correctly electrical or at least insulation burning smells, which means something is burning internally, not safe, fire hazard, unit needs to be repaired by qualified technician or replaced with new unit, take no chances, nothing you can do to repair this, could be a shorting transformer, or shorting power cables, but to attempt to trouble shoot this with email is a long shot, and depends on your experience expertize and testing equipment.

I wish I could give you a short easy answer, but the hazard and your safety is more important than a microwave.

Will

Nov 30, 2008 | Daewoo KOR-860A Microwave Oven

1 Answer

When I press the start button it smells like it is burning


if the is a convection model then the covection coill will smell that way if there is a geese build up and should be ok to use. however you should only smell that if you are using the convection mode.

Nov 27, 2008 | Panasonic NN-S954WF Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burning odor, no heat


A burning smell along with a different sound (growl) USUALLY indicates a breakdown in the High Voltage Side. This is not a direct short (short circuit) or the line fuse would have blown shutting everything down. The High Voltage Side is made up of-- The Secondary ,or High Voltage Side of The High Voltage Transformer, A High Voltage Diode, A High Voltage Capacitor, and The Magnetron. If The High Voltage Transformer is the problem it will smell like a florescent light ballast burning, and will smell each time you turn on the MW. A HV Diode burns and opens, thus no more smell. A HV Capacitor usually does not burn nor does the Magnetron. There is no Cheap-Fix unless you can see that the HV Diode is burned into and you can get to it to replace. CAUTION: Always unplug from power before attempting to repair. NOTE: If you replace a Diode make sure it goes back in the same direction it came out. Yes there is a front and back.

Jan 26, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

244 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Panasonic Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9047 Answers

Jerry Greenberg
Jerry Greenberg

Level 3 Expert

1667 Answers

SHARCNET-USA
SHARCNET-USA

Level 3 Expert

2130 Answers

Are you a Panasonic Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...